Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steven Zoster 12 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 02, 2011 @ 23:41
    Steven Zoster

Confusion about Tab and Property of a DataType

Hi all,

I am new to Umbraco and I watched some video about it.

I can't understand the difference between Tab and Property of a DataType.

Why do i have to define a Tab ?

I have undestood that a DataType is a content type of a page, so a property can be definied as a part of the content...but what's about Tab.

Anyway, could anybody give me some simple explanation about DataType,Property and Tab ?

Cheers.

zoster

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 00:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Zoster

The tabs stuff is there to make it possible for you to split up the properties on different tabs when it makes sense.

On most pages you will probably have a tab named "Content", which could consist of a textfield property for a heading and a rich text editor field for the main content of the page.

On the pages it should also be possible to enter stuff that is important for seo like the page title, meta description and in some cases meta keywords. One could argue that it's also related to the "Content" tab, but it looks a bit messy and in many cases it makes more sense to have these three properties on their own tab. Therefore it would make sense to add another tab called "SEO" where there is added a property for each of the mentioned fields.

So tabs helps you organize the properties into logical sections so it's easy to get a quick overview of the options one has on a node and knows where to look to edit certain options.

Does this make sense? And does it answer your question? :-)

/Jan

Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:59
    Steven Zoster

Hi Jan,

i don't keep understanding the difference between Property and Tabs...sorry :-(

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers.

zoster

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:32
    Dirk De Grave

Steven, i think Jan has explained it perfectly, organizing your properties into different tabs makes it much easier to put together "related" properties. For example, you'd put all SEO related properties (meta description, title, ...) in a single tab SEO, so you know where to find SEO properties instead of having to search through tens, maybe hundreds of properties.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:50
    Steven Zoster

Hi,

ok...i cleared my mind....thank you very much :-)

Cheers.

zoster

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft