Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nic Wise 51 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 12:18
    Nic Wise

Adding new Templates / CSS / etc on the file system

Hi

I'm having a few issues with adding new templates etc.

We use dropbox to sync the whole site to our local machines, we can we edit files without using the UI.

However, in most cases, new files do not show up in the UI (eg, after selecting "reload nodes" under stylesheets), and same with templates. Is this ment to work? or does everything have to go thru the web UI? It'd be nice to have something which does "look on disk. If it exists, pull it into the DB/UI."

Thanks

N

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 16:17
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Nic,

There is a mix of database and file-system driven trees in the Umbraco back-office.

CSS files should be able to be picked up from the file-system, but once they are saved via the back-office, a copy will be stored in the database (for legacy reasons). Also you can create CSS sub-properties that can be used via the TinyMCE/RTE (if the stylesheet has been associated with it via the data-type).

The Templates are different, they must be created from the back-office, (or API calls) ... as the template's "stub" is used to associate with document-types (so stored in the database).  Once the "stub" is in the database, the back-office will pick up any changes from the file-system.  It just wont "auto-create" them.

Could be possible to hook-up a FileSystemWatcher to fill in the missing gap? (to hook into the ApplicationBase event to do the check?)

Cheers, Lee.

• Nic Wise 51 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 16, 2011 @ 12:07
    Nic Wise

Thanks Lee - thats pretty much gels with what I found, I was just hoping there was a nice way to say "reload it off whats on disk". Maybe I should add it :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft