Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dub.survivor 58 posts 38 karma points
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 03:58
    dub.survivor

Using Word as editor

I am just experimenting with using Word as the editor to publish articles to my website.
    I have set up the content channels and accounts and all is working well. Perhaps too well. The user that I have set up for the account is currently set as a writer and is not allowed to publish, however when I publish from Word the article is published on the website. I would have thought that if the user doesn't have permission to publish then the article should be added as unpublished. If I use the "Publish as Draft" option in Word then it remains unpublished. That is the workaround at the moment, but I really would like the user to be prevented from fully publishing an article until an editor approves and publishes it manually. Is there something that I have forgotten to do?
    I should also mention that Word fails to publish if anything other than the Description field is set in the Content Channel. Doesn't bother me too much but any thoughts on why this might be?

Regards,
    Brian

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 09:37
    Thomas Höhler

Hi Brian,

in the code for the xml-rpc there is only checked if the user has access to the backend, not of which type he is. The errors if you have set anything other than the description field I cannot agree. This works well for me.

Therefore that the xmlrpc implementation from umbraco and also the umbracoblog package didn't fit for me I wrote some testcode and my own blogging engine for umbraco. So you can impement your own accessibility rules for umbraco. In word you can implement you own blogengine via IExtensibility. Unfortunately IExtensibilty in word has some bugs. I am now using Live Writer with some extensions.

See also this thread.

Thomas

• dub.survivor 58 posts 38 karma points
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 20:54
    dub.survivor

Thomas,

Thanks for the reply, I will keep an eye on the other thread. Sounds interesting.
    I can't use anything other than Word because I have quite a number of documents that have been written in Word over the years, that I want to add to the website and thought that publishing them to the website would be the simplest way to do this.
    Might log an issue in codeplex so that the user publish rights are checked before allowing the publish to go ahead. Technically the article shouldn't be published anyway because I have a mandatory field on the document type that needs to be filled in manually before publishing the article.
    Not sure whether the check if user has access to backend is working, because the user that I have set up has Disable Umbraco Access set and the document still gets published, Perhaps this is not the setting you mean.
    With regards to the errors on publishing with the other fields, perhaps the field types that I am using don't fit. I have set a Textstring type for the Category field and a Richtext editor for the Excerpt field.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft