Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• CodeMaster2008 151 posts 184 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 08:23
    CodeMaster2008

Suddenly no CSS or Javascript

Yesterday I uploaded a new 4.7 website and everything was fine. I wen to the backend and did some work with no problems at all. Today I came back and found this (see picture).

I already did a search and found people with similar problems however, looks change the application pool mode worked for some people but didn't work for me. Also I'm running on IIS 7.5 full trust.
    Recycling the application pool didn't help either.

And I can't just upload the site again because as soon as I did it I starting making changes on the site, so, the only copy doesn't match the one I have local.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 08:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi CodeMaster

Did you try to empty the ClientDependency folder?

And is the app pool running in integrated mode with the proper identity?

/Jan

Mar 22, 2011 @ 13:21
    CodeMaster2008

Hi Jan,
    Yes, The app pool is running in integrated mode with proper identity and ClientDependency folder is already empty.

Mar 22, 2011 @ 22:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Codemaster

Ok...have you double checked that there has not been a change in permissions somehow and that they're still inherited properly all the way down from the umbraco root folder?

/Jan

Mar 22, 2011 @ 22:43
    CodeMaster2008

I thoug that would be some permission issue but permissions looks ok to me. "Network Service" (the user at the app pool) has read and write access all the way down.
    So, I'm about to lose the customization I did and just upload everything again.

Mar 22, 2011 @ 23:08
    Jan Skovgaard

What happens if you put modify rights on those two?

And what kind of customization did you do?

/Jan

Mar 30, 2011 @ 02:29
    CodeMaster2008

Hi;
    Sorry for the delay.
    Well, the customizations (that I remember of) were just template customizations.
    Anyways, I removed it from the server, uploaded again and it's working now. I figure I would spend more time troubleshooting then customizing the templates again :-)
    Thanks for your attention.

Mar 30, 2011 @ 14:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi CodeMaster

Happy to hear you we're able to move on afterall. From your short description of the solution I suspect it's an permission issue...did you copy over some files? Think that this can sometimes create permission conflicts if I'm not mistaken.

/Jan

Mar 30, 2011 @ 16:29
    CodeMaster2008

After upload the files using ftp, I believe I went to the server via remote desktop and start coping things from one place to another, maybe it messed up the permissions.
    So, I removed everything (web site from IIS, files and folders), and created it again before upload. I have websitePanel running on the server so, that part was easy.

Apr 01, 2011 @ 16:15
    CodeMaster2008

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!
    Can you believe that? As i said before I removed everything before a fresh start. Uploaded the web site and it was working as expected for a few days. Today when I came to edit some content I got the exactly same problem. The site itself is fine, just the backend is messed up.

And I finally figure out what i did before it breaks: I went to WebsitePanel and set the 404 error page. And it was also the last thing I did when I got this problem for the first time.

Apr 01, 2011 @ 19:20
    CodeMaster2008

Here is what happened:

When I set a custom error page (404 in my case) in WebsitePanel it make changes in the web.config and endup breaking things.
    The backend makes two calls to "umbraco/DependencyHandler.axd" which returns a 404 error and is probably the reason the UI is all messed up.
    I just uploaded a local copy of the web.config and it's now working as expected.

Apr 01, 2011 @ 20:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi CodeMaster

Wow...that's a weird one! Maybe this should be described and reported on the issue tracker on codeplex? (Please make sure this issue does not already exist so the core team don't waste time reading dublets :))

/Jan

Apr 01, 2011 @ 20:40
    CodeMaster2008

I will do that but before i will try to reproduce it again and compare the two web.config to see exactly what's being changed.

Apr 01, 2011 @ 20:53
    Jan Skovgaard

That is a very good idea. The more detailed it's described the better chance the core team has to reproduce and fix for the benefit for all of us :-)

/Jan

• Rick 34 posts 83 karma points
    Jun 01, 2011 @ 15:33
    Rick

I had this same thing happen to me yesterday. It definately was a web.config change that caused the issue in the backend. I am also using softsys hosting and using .Net 4 integrated pipeline. I was adding some custom headers in the Websitepanel (old dotnetpanel) to enable sitewide "Expire" and "Cache-Control" headers for better SEO. When I submitted this change I didn't realize that IIS7 actually made the changes to my web.config as well as effectively removing the <handlers> section of the web.config. So if you suddenly don't have backend CSS and Javascript I would check that you indeed do have the <handlers> section in the web.config as some change up-stream might have triggered IIS7 to do a nice little delete and rewrite of your configurations! :)

It replaced it with this:

<directoryBrowse enabled="false" />
    <defaultDocument>
                <files>
                    <clear />
                    <add value="Default.htm" />
                    <add value="Default.asp" />
                    <add value="default.php" />
                    <add value="default.html" />
                    <add value="index.html" />
                    <add value="index.htm" />
                    <add value="index.asp" />
                    <add value="index.cfm" />
                    <add value="index.aspx" />
                    <add value="index.php" />
                    <add value="index.cgi" />
                    <add value="index.pl" />
                    <add value="Default.aspx" />
                    <add value="index.wml" />
                    <add value="default.wml" />
                    <add value="default.xhtml" />
                    <add value="index.xhtml" />
                    <add value="_holding.asp" />
                    <add value="_holding.htm" />
                </files>
            </defaultDocument>

It should be this:

<handlers accessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">
          <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />
          <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory" />
          <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />
          <remove name="ScriptResource" />
          <remove name="Channels" />
          <remove name="Channels_Word" />
          <remove name="ClientDependency" />
          <remove name="SpellChecker" />
          <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
          <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
          <add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
          <add verb="*" name="Channels" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />
          <add verb="*" name="Channels_Word" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />
          <add verb="*" name="ClientDependency" preCondition="integratedMode" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />
          <add verb="GET,HEAD,POST" preCondition="integratedMode" name="SpellChecker" path="GoogleSpellChecker.ashx" type="umbraco.presentation.umbraco_client.tinymce3.plugins.spellchecker.GoogleSpellChecker,umbraco" />
        </handlers>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft