Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hans 13 posts 20 karma points
    Jan 19, 2009 @ 14:08
    hans

make sub groupings in content section

Hey guys,

When I create a new member for my website, umbraco will group this member in a folder named from a-z. This functionality is great because I can easily look up a member, but I also don't have to load all the members when I go to the "member" section of umbraco.

I would like to have this same functionality (easy looking up + lazy loading) in my "content" section. I have a bunch of pages that I would like to organisize in the way I just described. So under a page that will function as a folder I would like to make several subfolders in which I can store my pages. (For example: news items that can be organized by month or year.)

Is there already any out of the box functionality that can do this for me? If not, does anybody have any ideas how I can extend umbraco to do this?

Hans

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 19, 2009 @ 14:19
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Hans,

Such packages exist... Not sure if you wish this behaviour though. Tim Geyssens has created a 'date folder' package in the past, which organizes content in .... well, in date folders. Can be applied to any document type. A same package exists for blogs, but is really related to blogs only as it checkes for a specifid document type.

Tim's date folder can be found on his site http://www.nibble.be (Look for packages in the left navigation menu)

Blog package is part of the online repository (But afraid it has not yet been converted for v4).

If you're keen on coding some .net code, it should be fairly easy to create your own event handlers that will create folders dynamically based on your specific requirements.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    /Dirk

• hans 13 posts 20 karma points
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 12:00
    hans

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have followed your second option and have created my own control that creates documents, subdocuments, subdocuments etc.

For example: I want to store news items grouped by year and week.

My tree will look like: NewsItems --> year --> week --> newsItem.

This works fine, but unfortunately the url doesn't look that great anymore. The nice url shows all the subdocument as wel, but I only created these to group the documents that I wanted to store.

For example, the url looks like newsitems/2009/1/mynewsitem.aspx
    However I would like the url to be like: newsitems/mynewsitem.aspx

Do you have any idea how I can skip these subdocuments from my url?

Hans

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 17:01
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

Answer in
    http://forum.umbraco.org/yafpostsm38117How-do-I-make-my-url-shorter-with-url-rewriting.aspx#38117

Regards,
    /Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft