Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dub.survivor 58 posts 38 karma points
    Jan 21, 2009 @ 21:37
    dub.survivor

Umbraco user change password without access to Users section?

I am in the process of setting up my company website using Umbraco v4. I started to set up the company staff as Umbraco users, assigning them appropriate User Types and access to limited Sections. I set a default password for them, thinking that they could change it to something they decide later. Then I realised that unless they have access to the Users section there is no way for them to change their own password.
    Is this the case or have I just missed something and it is possible?
    I don't want everyone to access Users section because it seems to me that if they have access to the Users section, they can change any other users password, permissions, user types, elevate themselves to Administrator etc.

Regards,
    Brian.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 21, 2009 @ 21:45
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Brian,

First of all, to answer the question. Nope, you haven't missed something here... Don't expect it to be in a v4.0 release, but it would be great if you'd add this use case to Codeplex so it might get picked up by the core (Perform a search first to check whether no one has ever reported that before).

But, there's a workaround you could use right now. Just create a dashboard control that lets users change their password. If you're familiar with dashboard controls, just go ahead. If you wish more info, shoot...

Regards,
    /Dirk

Jan 21, 2009 @ 21:54
    dub.survivor

Dirk,

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply.
    I will certainly add a workitem to codeplex, but codeplex seems to be very unreliable at the moment, I can't access the IssueTracker, keep getting timeouts and database errors.
    I was thinking that I might have to create a new dashboard control to allow the user to change password, but don't know how to do this yet. I had a look in Books but there doesn't seem to be any info there. Will do a search of forum, or do you know of any useful links?

Regards,
    Brian.

Jan 21, 2009 @ 22:00
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

Short how to:

- Create the user control, build the assembly. Assembly should go into the /bin folder, the user control should go in the /usercontrols folder (Doesn't matter if you add or use subfolders).

- Change dashboard.config from the /config folder

Regards,
    /Dirk

Jan 22, 2009 @ 21:20
    dub.survivor

Finally was able to access Codeplex Issues. Added item
    Umbraco user change password without access to Users section?
    Have started to implement a new section called simply User in the meantime, that has only functionality to change password.
    Dirk thanks for the brief info on adding a new dashboard item. Also found this [url]http://www.simm.dk/umbraco-corner/articles/making-custom-sections-and-trees-inside-umbraco---part-i.aspx[/url] which I am following. Also download the source for Umbraco to see how it is done for the Users section. I will only have the current user in the tree, is there a way to automatically select this tree item and have the details show in the right pane, rather than having to click on the user tree item?

Regards,
    Brian.

Jan 23, 2009 @ 08:07
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

I'm not sure if it works with custom sections, but AFAIK, it should. If the user has access to only one section, it should be displayed by default. Not sure how to handle the selection of the tree item...

Regards,
    /Dirk

Jan 25, 2009 @ 20:34
    dub.survivor

Dirk,

No big deal on the selection of the tree item. Got everything else working in the meantime. Now user can change password without access to the Users section, which is the functionality that I wanted.

Regards,
    Brian.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft