Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrea 24 posts 44 karma points
    Mar 26, 2011 @ 11:09
    Andrea

Newbie - E-learning

Hi,

I must create a site where:

- publish on line courses for subscribed users.

- every course will be in slide presentation style with audio and test at the end for it.

- save the result for each compiled test

- create reports and statistics

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 26, 2011 @ 11:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrea

Could you please provide some more information? I'm in a little doubt about what your question is here? :-) Is it if Umbraco can hanle the described scenarioes? Or is it how to do it in Umbraco or what are your thoughts/concerns on a deeper level?

/Jan

• Andrea 24 posts 44 karma points
    Mar 31, 2011 @ 11:59
    Andrea

Hi Jan sorry if I reply only know.

I used umbraco for a site and know I want to add some e-learning course inside the site where:

1. There are multimedia contents (images, videos or audio)

2. There are some test

What I want create with umbraco is a system where I can create a workflow of the course based on linked pages and for each page decide which content put on. For example

Course A:

Page 1: video

Page 2: test

Page 3: video

Page 4: images

Page 5: test

Every page has only the link to the next page or in case of the test the link to a previous content. It must not possible to directly access to a specific page.

For the tests I can create a specific user controls so I could store the user's results.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 31, 2011 @ 20:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrea

That's perfectly ok :-)

I can't see why Umbraco should not be able to handle this.

I can see this be done in several ways.

I'm thinking you need to define a "Course" document type, which can the have child document type called "Page". Then you can define the properties you need to make a page flexible enough to handle whether it should contain a video, a test or whatever. Then you can create some reusable XSLT/Razor or User control based macros to display the content on a given page using parameters for instance.

Then you could hook into the API using C# in a usercontrol to save the test-result either directly on the member in Umbraco or in an external database with a reference to the member id.

Since Umbraco is based on the ASP.NET membership provider it should be a breeze to handle creation of members, login etc.

Wether or not to store media directly in Umbraco I guess that depends on the size of the files. This could perhaps be handled more efficiently just storing the media on the file-system and them give them some logical naming like for course a the files could be named "course-a-1.jpg","course-a-2.jpg","course-a-1.mp4" etc. - Maybe it's easier to handle in the media section of Umbraco. It depends on the scale I guess? :-)

I hope these above pointers makes it a bit easier to help you make a decision wether Umbraco is the right fit or not. If I remember correctly Umbraco is able to handle around 250.000 nodes before performance is an issue (Someone correct me if I'm completely wrong).

/Jan

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Apr 01, 2011 @ 08:56
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Jan's answer is right, one remark...When you put the video's and images  in Umbraco you can access it directly if you know the url. If you want to prevent this protected media being accessed directly which I probably think you will  you might want toc check out my media protect package that redirects not authorized user to a login page.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft