Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• curlybub 133 posts 107 karma points
    Feb 19, 2009 @ 03:58
    curlybub

Publish on a test folder first

Hi

I was just wondering how to publish the umbraco website that I made to a test folder first instead of the actual root directory? How do I do this? The reason is obvious I want it to be published on a test folder for testing purposes and then if all went well thats the time that I'll publish it ot the root folder. Currently the site is publishing on the root folder and is publically available. #-o I dont want that to happen. Is it possible to publish it on a test folder first?

Thank you

Feb 19, 2009 @ 08:16
    curlybub

up up! Anyone?

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Feb 19, 2009 @ 08:23
    Fredrik Esseen

As I understand it Umbraco needs to be installed in the root. What u can do is that you stop the domainname (www.yourdomain.com) and instead use web.yourdomain.com, depending on how easy it is for you to manage your account.

Feb 19, 2009 @ 09:11
    curlybub

how will I do that? Will I do that on our domains control panel?

• Fredrik Esseen 608 posts 904 karma points
    Feb 19, 2009 @ 10:13
    Fredrik Esseen

That depends on your host if they let you manage domain names. If not contact your host.
    If you have access to the IIS you can manage domain names yourself.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Feb 19, 2009 @ 10:50
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,.

I think you want some sort of a staging area where you can view the complete website instead of the preview button in Umbraco? If that is the case you need Umbraco PRO which includes Courier. Check out the link below

http://www.umbraco.org/tour/for-professionals/umbraco-pro/courier/TourGallery

Cheers,

Richard

Feb 19, 2009 @ 15:09
    curlybub

I installed umbraco on the root folder. then I access it using www.mydomain.com/umbraco, then once I published what I've done, it is publicly seen in www.mydomain.com, is there anyway to publish it on a test folder first rather than on the actual domain? ex. publish it on www.mydomain.com/test instead of www.mydomain.com. Are there ways to achieve this without upgrading to umbraco pro?

Thank you guys for your inputs.

• Jameskn 64 posts 78 karma points
    Feb 19, 2009 @ 15:17
    Jameskn

I believe you need to have it on the root folder because of the redirection code in the system.

It is though and interesting idea.

James

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft