Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mcgwest 23 posts 55 karma points
    Feb 20, 2009 @ 07:37
    mcgwest

Search Box in Admin UI

I'm new to Umbraco and I just installed v4. What is the search box at the top of the admin UI supposed to do? Does it actually do anything?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 20, 2009 @ 08:42
    Dirk De Grave

Hi,

It is supposed to.... search! As a quick test, create a new document. After creation, get in to the search box and enter the name of the document you've just created. I'm thinking it is waiting for a number of chars to fire the search. If a document matches your search, it will be 'google suggested' with name of the document and the node id in parenthesis.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    /Dirk

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Feb 20, 2009 @ 11:45
    Niels Hartvig

I'm working on opening search results in a new window if you hit enter. Right now it's auto suggest based, or opens a modal search box if you hit space in the search box.

• rorythecheese 110 posts 56 karma points
    Feb 20, 2009 @ 12:44
    rorythecheese

Another thing i found is that if you click on the search box then press spacebar another window pops up where you can do a search and it lists results in the popup. You can click on the results and it takes you to the page in your content tree. Is usefull when there's loads of pages to navigate through.

Feb 20, 2009 @ 12:58
    Niels Hartvig

There's even accesskeys to the search results, so if you want to go to search result 4, simply hit ALT+4 and Enter (on windows) - can't remember the function key to use on OSX

• mcgwest 23 posts 55 karma points
    Feb 20, 2009 @ 16:24
    mcgwest

Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated.

This sounds great, but its not working for me. I typed a value in the search box, brewed some coffee, ate some breakfast and still no search results. Nothing happens. . .no popup, no auto-complete, nada.

What's the best way for me to troubleshoot this? Is there a log file I can look at? This will be critical functionality for me down the road.

Thanks again.

Feb 20, 2009 @ 22:51
    Niels Hartvig

Try hitting /umbraco/reindex.aspx and see if it helps

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Aug 23, 2012 @ 19:47
    Funka!

I've always been confused at how this search box works, it has never seemed to work as expected for me ... until I realized it only works if you search for a single word. If you enter two or more words I always get zero results, even if they are exactly in the same order as or even identical to the full page name. (Happens for me in any version from 4.7.0 to 4.8.1.)

Also related:  A nice feature request (other than tweaking the search box to allow more than one word at a time) would be if it could search your properties as well. (Not just the node name.)

Thanks!

P.S., just found U4-416 which also suggests seaching properties (but doesn't say anything about more than one word in the search terms).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft