Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• amunk 17 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 25, 2009 @ 17:33
    amunk

Content disappears??

Hi,

I have installed Umbraco 3.0.6 from Codeplex - including the umbraco.webservices.dll hotfix. Everythins seems working as intended except that the content disappears after some time. When I re-publish the content everything is fine. For about 5 minuttes. Then the content disappears again.

What can be wrong? Tried to search the forum but did not find something useful.

My templates are rendered correctly - only the dynamic content disappears.

Best regars,
    Anders

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Feb 25, 2009 @ 19:41
    Peter Dijksterhuis

This behaviour is all about permissions.
    Check your permissions and triple-check them again.

HTH,
    PeterD

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Feb 25, 2009 @ 21:42
    Tommy Poulsen

I also have experienced some weird behavior due to xml-caching turned on in the umbracoSettings.config. It wouldn't hurt trying to turn it off.

Tommy

Feb 26, 2009 @ 22:41
    amunk

Thank for the suggestions.

I tried to turn off xml-caching but that really screwed up! Also checked permissions but did not find anything suspicious. During install the install guide stated that permissions were fine so unless that is not sufficient I do not think the problem was related to security.

Anyway.. I ended up doing a re-install and that fixed it. My first install was an empty website and the second time I chose the Website wizard template. Maybe something messed up in the first place.

Regards,
    Anders

Feb 26, 2009 @ 23:35
    amunk

Apparently I was too fast to saying this was fixed.

I turns out that the content is unpublished after some time. When I go to the site I get redirected to /config/splashes/noNodes.aspx. When I publish the content tree the content is visible again for some time. It seems to me that content is published only through out my session.

What can be wrong here? During install the guide stated that permissions were perfect.

Feb 26, 2009 @ 23:48
    Peter Dijksterhuis

That can be misleading.

Check if the users NETWORK SERVICE and ASPNET both have full control over the folders:
    data, media, css, masterpages, xslt, scripts, python and the web.config file.

Note: the user NETWORK SERVICE usually is the one, that is the user that runs the application-pool. It can have been altered though, you might want to check the application-pool to check which user it runs under.

HTH,
    PeterD

Feb 26, 2009 @ 23:55
    amunk

I am running umbraco in a hosted environment so I have no control over apppools.

Are there any special requirements?

Feb 26, 2009 @ 23:57
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Have your provider check which user is used for the apppool.
    That user AND the ASPNET user both need full control over mentioned folders.

If you can change permissions on folders yourself, you could try to use NETWORK SERVICE first before contacting the hosting provider.

HTH,
    PeterD

Feb 27, 2009 @ 00:00
    amunk

Thanks Peter.

I have requested info on setting folder permissions from my hosting provider.

My hosting supports Medium Trust. I guess this is sufficient for Umbraco 3?

Feb 27, 2009 @ 00:02
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hm, Umbraco needs full trust actually. You might run into more problems if the site is set up in medium trust....

Feb 27, 2009 @ 00:05
    amunk

So this has changed since version 2 I guess. I have an old site running on version 2.

So how are people getting around this? I guess there are not many hosting providers that offer Full Trust?

Feb 27, 2009 @ 00:09
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Yes, that has changed since then. I'm not sure what problem you might run into, but if you perform a search here on the forum for medium trust, you'll find quite a number of posts.

Feb 27, 2009 @ 00:21
    amunk

Wow - can not believe this! I guess the 80/20 rule does not apply here...

As I see it is caused by .Net reflection and Xslt extensions.

Unfortunately this makes Umbraco 3 (and 4) useless for me :-(

• Daniel Lindstrom 454 posts 271 karma points
    Feb 27, 2009 @ 01:15
    Daniel Lindstrom

[quote=amunk]Wow - can not believe this! I guess the 80/20 rule does not apply here...

As I see it is caused by .Net reflection and Xslt extensions.

Unfortunately this makes Umbraco 3 (and 4) useless for me :-([/quote]

Change hosting provider! There are good and not very expensive ones that offer full trust.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft