Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AntonioMX 58 posts 57 karma points
    Apr 25, 2011 @ 23:10
    AntonioMX

Problems migrating to SQL Server 2008

Hey guys, here is the scenario:

Local machine has umbraco 4.5.2 and SQL Express 2005 working fine, tried to migrate the db to another test scenario closer to production surroundings with SQL Server 2008, restored the database and made sure the login worked with SQL Server Management Studio Express.

Back to the site, changed the web.config but I get a blank screen (no errors whatsoever) on all pages except the login screen at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/umbraco/ but when trying to login the site to perform a full republish the red box appears saying nay nay. I am positive I am using the correct password as I checked the db  (I can see the password in plain text).

I've been thinking of reseting the password deleting it from the db but I am not sure this will work, also created a little app in VS to see if I could connect to the DB and it was a go.

More variables into the pool, in my localhost environ I have modified IIS as to omit .aspx from all pages, not sure if this could be the culprit as I tried to make reference to xx.xx.xx.xx/page.aspx with no success. This works fine too in my dev machine.

Another test involved moving the umbraco files to a proto server and trying to connect to the db from there but it didn't work either, suggestions are broadly welcomed.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 08:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Is password encryption enabled in your new web.config file? (hashPassword)

Apr 26, 2011 @ 15:26
    AntonioMX

Yes it was, I figured that out yesterday, I copied the hashed password from my localmachine installation and voilá, I was in. Then I noticed the site rendered very weird until I realised macros weren't being run and I had cache still from the last implementatio, even more weirdness since this is a completeley new database and new files.

Apr 26, 2011 @ 16:30
    AntonioMX

My bad completely, I didn't know sql server made incremental backups and somewhat IT restored an old set that was living along with the new one, everything is working fine now, thanks Sebastian.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft