Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• satjinder 16 posts 28 karma points
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 00:11
    satjinder

What is the best practise for storing images/graphics assets for look &feel in Umbraco 4? and can desingers update these fro

What is the best practise for storing images/graphics assets for look&feel in Umbraco 4? and can desingers update these from the #CMS ?

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 02:28
    bob baty-barr

i think a lot of people use a folder in the /data directory for css imagery, design images, etc.

but i actually like to put them in media [in the tree structure] so others can update them. I create a folder called cssAssets and create and upload them, then reference them in the css.

it can be a little bit tedious, but i feel it gives another designer/developer a little more control without the necessity for ftp access.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 10:55
    Douglas Robar

I've stored site design assets in the Media section and also in a custom folder that has FTP access. Both can work well. I base my choice on the skills of the people that will work with the site long-term, how frequent or extensive the changes might be, availability of FTP access on the host, etc.

For myself, I use an ftp-able folder for site design imagery and the Media section for imagery/files related to the content itself (such as a photo included in a press release). That's my preference, anyway, unless there's a reason to put everything directly in the Media section (as Bob has suggested).

One of the nice things about umbraco is that you can work the way you want, rather than being forced to work in a specific way that might not fit your needs.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft