Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    May 02, 2011 @ 17:39
    Connie DeCinko

Adding additional properties to existing tabs

In a document type, we can now add properties to an existing tab  (love it!)

What happens if we add a property with the same name as a property on the inherited tab?  Will it be allowed?  Will they just duplicate?  Or will the lower level property override the inherited property?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 02, 2011 @ 18:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Connie

I think that it will not be allowed to create it since the property already exsits.

/Jan

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    May 02, 2011 @ 20:48
    Kim Andersen

I'm actually not sure what will happen, but I guess that you can'thave two properties with the same alias on the same tab. But hey Connie, why not give it a go and tell us what's going to happen? :)

/Kim A

• Sean Holmesby 61 posts 82 karma points
    May 05, 2011 @ 04:57
    Sean Holmesby

With this... is there a way to change the order of the fields when a document type inherits from another? i.e 'Form' has fields A and B in tab 'Content', and inherits from 'Textpage' which has field C in tab 'Content'. The order of the fields when you see an item of type Form is C, A, B. Can I make it so it shows in the order of A, B, C???

• Pasang Tamang 258 posts 458 karma points
    May 05, 2011 @ 05:45
    Pasang Tamang

Hi Sean

I think you can do  C, A, B into A, B, C by changing the sort order of tab.

May 05, 2011 @ 22:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi all

To confirm my previous answer I have just made a text with the scenario Connie asked about in his initial post.

If one creates two document types like "Master" and "Slave" so the hierachy looks like this

Master
       Slave

And on the master has tab a,b and c and one creates the a property with the alias of "propertyName" on a, this can't be created on b since it does already exist. This is also what the speech bubble in Umbraco will say.

And the concept is the same if we try to create "propertyName" on tab "b" on the slave docment type since it already exists in the hierachy. And if we add a new tab called d on the slave document type and create a property with the alias "propertyName" it will logically enough also fail.

@Sean: Regarding your question Pasang is right. Then you should just set the sort order to 100 for instance (Just a number that is high enough to make sure it will always be the last tab when shown in the content section).

/Jan

May 06, 2011 @ 02:08
    Sean Holmesby

Hi Jan,

I think you're missing my point. Because the fields will be shown on the one tab ('Content') I want to change the order of the fields WITHIN that tab.

Won't the sort order that you're talking about just change the order of the tab relative to other tabs?

On the child doc type, I can't see where you can put in any sort order values if the fields you've added are placed on a tab that is inherited.

- Sean

May 06, 2011 @ 23:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

I thought you meant sorting of tabs if you add a specific tab for a document type, which inherits from a master document type. Then you can control the sort order on the "Tabs" tab.

But the sort order of property tabs is not possible to change as far as I know. But this would indeed be a very nice feature, which I would also love to see myself.

Perhaps a request for this should be made on codeplex if it has not been so already?

/Jan

May 07, 2011 @ 12:29
    Sean Holmesby

OK, cool. Thanks Jan. I reckon I will put a request in. Thanks for your help.

- Sean

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft