Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ivansager 15 posts 38 karma points
    Apr 05, 2009 @ 05:56
    ivansager

Development cycle

Could someone provide me with a general overview of how the software development cycle works with Umbraco;

Step 1: Locally on my development server I create a database
    Step 2: Locally I create templates controls, macros etc.
    Step 3: Locally I create content and graphics etc.
    Step 4: Locally things look great and I am ready for production.

The next steps are what I am not sure of...

How does one go from development into production and how does one do increamental changes for example text content on the home page or a single macro change etc.

Thanks
    Ivan

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Apr 05, 2009 @ 08:23
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Ivan,

What I normally do for a first release is just cop the whole Umbraco folder to my webserver and Backup my database and restore it on the production server. Update for template/macro/xslt and usercontrols can be done by creating a package for the changes. Content is a bit more difficult. I think the best way in that scenario is using Courier which is part of Umbraco PRO More info can be found at http://www.umbraco.org/blog/2008/8/6/courier-for-content-preview

Cheers,

Richard

• David Conlisk 432 posts 1008 karma points
    Apr 05, 2009 @ 15:17
    David Conlisk

Hi Richard,

I'm interested in your package idea for getting changes to the server. If I have existing macros on server and locally, and I make updates locally, can I then create a package that includes this modified macro and upload it? And will it realise that the package contains changes for existing macro, rather than a new macro?

Usually I use FTP to upload xslt, templates (masterpages), js, css, etc to the server rather than the Umbraco interface.

David

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Apr 06, 2009 @ 09:19
    Richard Soeteman

Hi David,

Good point about the updates, didn't test that in a package. Also FTP is much easier, but the way that I'm using the package is that when I've created new functionality and I want to deploy it it's much easier to have a single package. You can upload files with ftp but you can't upload Macro's You have to create them yourself on the Server. I will/need to test it with updates in the coming week(s) and will post my finding here.

Cheers,

Richard

• David Conlisk 432 posts 1008 karma points
    Apr 06, 2009 @ 11:12
    David Conlisk

Excellent - thanks Richard.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft