Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason N 55 posts 79 karma points
    May 06, 2011 @ 19:47
    Jason N

Rich text editor for macro parameter type

Umbraco newbie here.  I'm trying to create a macro parameter that is of type rich text much like the rich text editor property datatype but I don't see anything like that in the available selections.  The closest thing I see is text and textMultiLine.  Do I need to create a custom data type for this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2011 @ 23:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

The rich text editor is not one of the default parameters. Unfortunately I don't know how to add another parameter type option...

But why do you need the parameter to be a rich text editor? In what situation would you need this? Perhaps there is another way to do what you're trying to achieve.

Please ellaborate a bit more on what you're trying to do :-)

/Jan

May 09, 2011 @ 17:23
    Jason N

I'm going to have a sidebar with a few different types of widgets for the content editor to choose from.  I'm using a macro container to do this.  I would like one of them to be a generic free form widget that they can work with using a rich text editor.  Currently I'm using the textMultiline editor and pasting in raw html but I'm noticing that even though my content is being saved and publishes to the site, when I leave the document and come back to it the content is no longer in the macro form.  Is this a bug or might I have something setup incorrectly?  I am new to Umbraco so if you know of a better way for me to accomplish what I'm trying to do then please share!  Thank you.

Jason

May 09, 2011 @ 19:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

Hmmm..

I'm not sure what is going on with the content disappearing - does it disappear from the website as well?

I think at better way of handling sidebar widgets is to create a content repository in the content section on the same level as your root node so the structure in the content section looks like this...

Home
       Textpage
       Textpage
       Textpage
       Etc.
    Widget repository
        Widget
        Widget
        etc.

You can define the content repository sketched above by creating a

"Widget Repository" document type and a "Widget" document type (You can have a document type for each possible widget or you can have one document type, with a tab for each possible widget. It's all about what makes sense in the context). You could also consider creating a document type to act as a folder so you can organize the widgets.

So not you have your widgets in the content repository and you can define what is possible on the widget document type like using a rich text editor etc.

To make it possible to insert one or more widgets in the sidebar you can create a tab called "Sidebar" on your textpage document type and here place a multiple node picker (Which requires you to install uComponents and create a datatype based on this datatype).

Then you can set the datatype to display the contents from the "Widget repository" and you can use the picker on your textpage making it possible to show one or more widgets in your sidebar.

I hope the above makes sense to you. I think this is the way to go since it provides more flexibility and makes content reusable throughout the site.

/Jan

May 09, 2011 @ 20:22
    Jason N

Yes that makes since.  I like that the content can be shared.  Thank you very much.

May 09, 2011 @ 21:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

You're very welcome - please don't hesitate to ask further questions of there is something you're in doubt about :-)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft