Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete K 317 posts 56 karma points
    Apr 14, 2009 @ 19:39
    Pete K

Master pages for a a version 4 newbie

Hello gang,

I feel like a total newbie to umbraco again! I just installed a fresh copy of version 4.01 to play around with in preparation for setting up a new site for our schools. I want to use master pages this time around rather than the old master template system.

Can someone help me get started? What are the differences? What is the essential must know information for moving from the old way of doing things to the new way? Thanks.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2009 @ 21:20
    Douglas Robar

Umbraco 4 is using standard .net masterpages so that means Google is going to be a big friend, as would your local bookstore.

You've got the toolbar for help when inserting umbraco item fields, content placeholders, macros, etc. You'll soon be writing the tags by hand just like you did with the v3 syntax.

Of course, you could make copy of an existing v3 site and upgrade it to v4... the templates and syntax will be automatically upgraded to v4 syntax, which might be a nice learning exercise.

For that matter, install Runway or CWS2 and see how it's done. In general, though the syntax has changed the ideas haven't.

Do shout if you run into specific issues of course.

cheers,
    doug.

• Pete K 317 posts 56 karma points
    Apr 15, 2009 @ 16:05
    Pete K

Thanks Doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft