Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas 49 posts 21 karma points
    Apr 15, 2009 @ 13:33
    Jonas

Lost content when removing a generic property?

I wonder how content is stored in the db. Let's say I have a document type with a certain generic property "someproperty", with some content using that document type, and information saved in my generic property.

What happens if I delete the generic property from my document type? Is my ""someproperty"-content lost forever from all content nodes, or can I dig for it in the db?

Apr 15, 2009 @ 13:54
    Jonas

I guess that the table is cmsPropertyData and the field(s) [dataNtext]/[dataNvarchar]. However I cannot find my lost data there. Did it go away with a cascading delete?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Apr 15, 2009 @ 14:08
    Douglas Robar

I believe it is gone forever since there is no longer a place in the docType (or the database) to save it. Otherwise, the db could get very large with data that could never be accessed.

If you've accidentally deleted a docType property and its data then it would be time to look into restoring a database backup.

cheers,
    doug.

Apr 16, 2009 @ 16:20
    Jonas

Hi, yes - backup the SQL we should. I take it as a lesson. The installation is fresh and I had no db-backups configured. (Now I have'm).

I'm no longer sure what happend in my case, later I did find my data in cmsPropertyData must have written a bad query the first time.

I would (some day...) like to dig deeper into how data is stored by Umbraco. Any links?

Thanks Doug!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft