Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pikej 27 posts 47 karma points
    May 10, 2011 @ 01:02
    pikej

umbracoUrlAlias or xslt

hi guys,

I have a website about video games and would like to have section with upcoming games.

When these games were published, I would like to move them from the section back to different section.

I can move them manually but that would break urls. how to do it? ideally I would have just a checkbox and move the pages by clicking and unclicking.

thanks in advance.

pikej 

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    May 10, 2011 @ 02:48
    skiltz

On your video game "Document Type" i would have a property named "IsUpcomingGame" where it is set to true/or false.  You would then have a XSLT/Razor/Linq2Umbraco script which would loop through and display only the video games where property "IsUpcomingGame" is set to true.

If you actually want to do what you said above there is a great 301 redirect packages in projects.  This will keep track of changed URL's and force old urls to be redirected to the new version.

May 10, 2011 @ 07:52
    pikej

thanks a lot skilts,

are there any examples of this XSLT/Razor/Linq2Umbraco script?

kind regards,

pikej

• Sean Holmesby 61 posts 82 karma points
    May 10, 2011 @ 08:50
    Sean Holmesby

Another thing you may consider is having a Date Field for the expected release of the game, and have your XSLT query this field and decide whether to show it as upcoming or not. This means you would only have to enter the date field once, and you wouldn't have to update the item when it's released.

Of course, the problem with this is that games are often released at different times, both earlier and later, than their publicly announced release date.

P.S I love video games, so I know more than anyone that the release date can be different from what they say....

May 10, 2011 @ 10:32
    pikej

hi Sean,

That would be great but as you mentioned, there can be problems so to start with checkbox solution would do...

pikej

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft