Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrei Canef 33 posts 84 karma points
    May 10, 2011 @ 12:34
    Andrei Canef

hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character

Hi. I hope you guys can provide some input about this problem that I just can't seem to find a solution for. 

We have a website set up on a staging environment. Umbraco 4.5.2 upgraded to 4.7.0, MSSQL server 2008 database.

The client has added data to it over the course of several weeks. While implementing changes to the website, we faced an odd problem. 

Content did not get published. The umbraco.config XML document would not get rebuilt when things were published on the site. It would not get rebuilt after it got deleted, either. Permissions were checked several times. 

We also get an error stating "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in the back end. It appears intermitently. 

When saving some content of specific document types, we get no link pointing to that particular item, or the previously mentioned error - this particular aspect of the problem seems to have been fixed by upgrading Umbraco from 4.5.2 to 4.7.0

Finally, the UmbracoLog table states 

Error Republishing: System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1201.     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowInvalidChar(Char[] data, Int32 length, Int32 invCharPos)     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type, Int32& outStartPos, Int32& outEndPos)     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCDataOrComment(XmlNodeType type)     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()     at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)     at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)     at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)     at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml)     at umbraco.content.LoadContentFromDatabase()

The current explanation we have come up with is that somewhere within the content there are illegal characters (which, based on codeplex entries and other google links, come from pasting content in from Word or Macs). Those characters do not corrupt the database, but are illegal in XML, causing umbraco.config to not be generated, and, consequently, reference errors. 
    I'd also like to point out that the code works fine on a separate installation with a fresh database and no content. 
    I am hoping to get some suggestions as to how I could remove the illegal characters from the database, and/or more input into whether our explanation seems correct. 
    Thanks for the help. 
  • Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 16, 2011 @ 22:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrei

Does one your document type aliases by any chance contain illegal characers like starting with "-somealias" for instance?

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft