Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Travis 19 posts 46 karma points
    May 11, 2011 @ 15:16
    Travis

Template node and Document type dead

I ran into an issue a few days back where I tried to edit and save a template but ran into a duplicate alias error.  I would be happy with that but checking the dbase shows that there isn't in fact a duplicate alias in the database.  Attempting to fix it I renamed the template I needed to change and BOOM - templates are dead - the node never loads.  Not a huge issue - I jumped in and fixed it in the dbase.

Today I tried to create a new template.  Nothing fancy, I simple click create.  And boom - error page and I can no longer load my template node.  Checked for duplicate alias in the dbase - clear.  The document type node now also returns an error any time I try to edit a document type.  I have 2 other copies of the site - my local and a staging.  They are both 100% ok and show none of these issues. This time there isn't anything in the database I can fix - its all just dead. 

Any ideas?  Some other duplicate alias type that may be the problem.  

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 11, 2011 @ 18:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Travis

Are you by any chance using some weird signs in your templates?

And how do you edit them? Using visual studio or directly in the umbraco editor or in a combination?

/Jan

May 12, 2011 @ 04:15
    Travis

Nothing that springs to mind but I will check into that line of thinking.  Thanks, with luck that is enough of a clue to track it down.

May 12, 2011 @ 06:56
    Travis

Resolved - kinda. 

I deleted the new (blank) template directly in the dbase and templates node works again! I will have to pull the database into a local instance where I can smash it without fear that I am going to kill the live site.  All I did to get the system stuck was try and create a new template :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft