Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 18, 2009 @ 19:29
    Matthew

multiple articles on a page, same article multiple places in a site

i do a freebie site for a local arts org, they have shows/events weekly which i've been posting as 'articles', each has the same components, headline, pic, caption, content, etc, wrapped in a little css. there's shortened versions on preview pages for each art discipline and full articles for each show/event on their own page. i'd like to get them onto cms so they can post their own articles.

what i could use some advice with is:

1) how do you get multiple articles to show up on a page, and

2) how do users of say the writer type get to enter them?

i've been looking at the blog package and think the answer to 1) may be in there, macros and xslt but i don't have those sklls yet and would really appreciate knowing if that's the direction i need to look (and greatly appreciate any pointers/tips you would share).

i'm pretty stumped on 2) though, i was originally thinking users would just access and enter articles in a form to submit them but the umbraco way seems to be let them right in umbraco with limited permissions and then do the 'right click, choose edit in canvas'. that's really more geeky than i want to expose this crowd to if i can avoid it.

doc2form started to sound like it might be the solution but then i think i ran across some posts suggesting to me maybe not so much.

i liked it when you could go to the url and add ../umbraco/liveedit (or whatever it was) and just end up in canvas, although that wouldn't have presented a form for individual articles.

One last shot at making this completely clear, I'd like users to be able to access a form that would take: headline; primary pic; secondary pic; sidebar pic; caption; date/time/place/price stats; lead-in paragraph; full article and what pages they'd like it to show up on. From that, it could end up with a short version on the home page along with the next few events, a short version on another page specific to that discipline, and/or a full article page for just that one event.

what i do now is at http://vaarts.org/

thanks so much.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2009 @ 09:58
    Ismail Mayat

tonian,

I recall Kasper bumbech did an article regarding this on his blog ages ago although that was the old blog, he did it with a property marker and action handler. Cant seem to find the post though.

Regards

Ismail

Apr 21, 2009 @ 19:47
    Matthew

thank you Ismail, i'll see if i can find it.

Apr 29, 2009 @ 07:47
    Matthew

one last time. i thought i was right on target with umbraco filling this need, it seems like the point of cms. are my 2 questions too simple minded or too complex? or maybe just overlooked? not enough info? do i smell bad?

thanks.

• Giorgos Grispos 145 posts 179 karma points
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 10:11
    Giorgos Grispos

Hi tonian,

any solution to that problem, I am facing the same problem in a website and I need to take out some articles because they already appear within the top section of the site. We need something like store their ids in the application state and then just make a check, can we set and get this through xslt? Any other ideas welcome

Cheers, Giorgos

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft