Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Accusoft 58 posts 109 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 13:42
    Accusoft

Allowing nested or tiered URLs

I have a content section called Knowledgebase which has a URL of knowledgebase.aspx.  I've got several "questions" underneath this such as with URLs like "how-do-i-do-this.aspx".  How can I change it so that the URL structure for subpages is "knowledgebase/how-do-i-do-this.aspx"?

• René Poulsen 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 19:01
    René Poulsen

I have a solution where it does that by default. The website is bhkp.dk.. Take a look at: http://bhkp.dk/vaerdier/sproglig-udvikling.aspx

"Værdier" is a page and "Sproglig udvikling" is a page.

What does the "Link to document" say on the "How-do-i-do-this.aspx" page? You find it under the Properties tab.

Edit: What do you have as the "href" attribute on your a tag in the xslt for the menu? Mine looks like this: "<a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id)}">"

I guess yours look like that too when the "knowledgebase" page gets the "/knowledgebase.aspx" url.

May 12, 2011 @ 20:18
    Accusoft

Hi Rene,

The link to document says "how-do-i-do-this.aspx" as expected.  My XSLT also usees the same format as yours: "<a href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id)}">"

Knowledgebase also has a link to document of "knowledgebase.aspx".  Is there a setting that can structure this differently?

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 20:58
    Lennart Stoop

Hey Chris,

We usually get this working OOTB, and I think its just a matter of how you setup your content structure:

This works: Content > Root > Knowledgebase > Question

This does not: Content > Knowledgebase > Question

You may also want to play with the "umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" setting in the web.config.

Switching this to "false" will make the second structure work as well, but it may affect other uri's..

May 12, 2011 @ 21:05
    Accusoft

Hi Lennart,

Setting umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath seems to work perfectly.  It obviously impacts the other URLs which in my particular case is OK.  I'm curious, how does this work OOTB by creating a Root node?  Is it just simply adding that page and building the rest of the site underneath it?  Thanks for your help!

• Lennart Stoop 304 posts 842 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 21:19
    Lennart Stoop

I think it's just a matter of preference.

Often the root node is used to hold a global settings page, and to prevent editors from adding any type of document to the Content node.

Actually, @cultiv wrote a nice post about it, good read: http://cultiv.nl/blog/2010/12/19/tip-of-the-week-the-ultimate-site-structure-setup/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft