Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kentiler 76 posts 69 karma points
    Apr 21, 2009 @ 20:03
    kentiler

Recommendations for implementing an image gallery

Hi,

I'm setting up my first Umbraco site, and I'm moving an existing site into it. I've used many CMS systems before in the past, but I'm new to Umbraco.

The site I'm moving is www.iler.com/labs.

If you look under "fun pictures" you'll see many images. My goal would be to setup a template where I could upload an original picture, use ImageGen to create an image with the normal and thumbnail sizes, and allow the editor to enter a description.

My understanding is that if I do an upload on the documenttype, that the images can only be referenced by that single page.

Does anyone have any recommendations for implementing this so it's a single page for uploading, but the images would be available for any other page on the site?

Thanks!

--Kent

• Thorsten Hoffmann 48 posts 119 karma points
    Apr 22, 2009 @ 09:43
    Thorsten Hoffmann

http://betaviewer.com - for use with flickr oder 23hq

Thorsten

• kentiler 76 posts 69 karma points
    Apr 24, 2009 @ 03:01
    kentiler

So do you have to have the images on flickr or 23hq first? I want to be able to directly upload the images just to the website.

Thanks!

--Kent

• Horst Sterr 171 posts 133 karma points
    Apr 24, 2009 @ 11:44
    Horst Sterr

Hi kentiler,

i loaded up all photos to the media section in a certain folder (doing this is quite easy with thomas höhlers "Utilities for Umbraco")

After this u can use any kind of javascript gallery (i prefer to use the "triptracker slideshow" script) combined with some xslt

- Utilities for Umbraco
    - Triptracker Slideshow
    - Example

-edit-
    ...and you can expand the mediatype for photos with a property to add a subtitle to each single photo

horst

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:09
    dandrayne

To second racer.x, upload to the media library with either utilities or "mass media uploader" (a nice flex component with progress bar etc) and use media/ultimate pickers to choose them for the gallery.

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/ is quite a nice result, but the great thing about umbraco is that you could potentially use any image gallery script out there (xml, html, javascript or flash based) or quickly roll your own with a bit of xslt goodness.

• mudhut 25 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:28
    mudhut

[quote=racer.x]Hi kentiler,
    After this u can use any kind of javascript gallery (i prefer to use the "triptracker slideshow" script) combined with some xslt

- Utilities for Umbraco
    - Triptracker Slideshow
    - Example

horst[/quote]

@RX

I really like this example. I am new to the world of umbraco, .NET, and xslt.

Once you add all photos to a media folder, how do you proceed.

Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:31
    mudhut

[quote=ddrayne]

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/ is quite a nice result, but the great thing about umbraco is that you could potentially use any image gallery script out there (xml, html, javascript or flash based) or quickly roll your own with a bit of xslt goodness.[/quote]

I have used simple viewer with Joomla. It was easy to use and truly easy to look at. Please help me incorporate this in my site. What steps do I need to take from start to finish? I know this is asking a lot.

Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:55
    Horst Sterr

hi,

in the example we have several folders with the image collections

how to

1. make a template for your gallery overview (nothing special in there).
    in this template you include the "galleryOverview" Macro (xslt for the macro see attachments)

2. enhance you doctype for the single gallery (subpage of gallery overview) pages with a media picker
    with the mediapicker you just point to the folder including the photos
    template includes "gallery" Macro (xslt for the macro see attachments)

including "triptracker.js" is necessary
    in my example there are some effects using jquery - just comment out or include jquery.js as well

- galleryOverview.xslt
    - gallery.xslt

horst

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Apr 24, 2009 @ 13:00
    dandrayne

Hmm, start to finish?!

Let's see - here's what I'd do, in a nutshell

* Create a gallery document type and use an ultimate picker field to allow choosing of multiple images from the media library

OR

* Create a gallery and an image document type, allowing only images as the children of the gallery type.

Then upload the images to whatever document type you used and create an xslt stylesheet to output an xml file, feeding simpleviewer via an alternate template.

This is the condensed version of course, do feel free to ask for help with a specific problem though.

I found http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/xslt-basics very useful when getting my head around umbraco to begin with

Apr 24, 2009 @ 13:33
    Horst Sterr

i do it second way
    - create a documenttype for the gallery including a media picker
    - point to the media folder including my images with the media picker
    the gallery.xslt creates the view of all images in this folder. see here gallery

folder structure in the media section

[code]- galleries > galleryOverview.xslt
    -- gallery > gallery.xslt
    [/code]
    the galleryOverview.xslt creates this view overview

horst

Apr 25, 2009 @ 11:00
    mudhut

Ok, Thank you Racer and Drayne. I have a little direction now. I am reading up on the xslt basics now and look forward to using both gallery scripts.

As for someone totally new to this technology, I would really benefit from a start to finish tutorial. I could use this as a great entry point for learning not only the workings of Umbraco but all the other technologies included and what is needed to build on.

Hell, make it so easy a "cave-man" (like me, with super limited windows web experience) could implement an elaborate gallery with added features like comments and rankings... make it so thorough that people wouldn't mind paying to see how it is done for the first time.

tia

• Pau Storch 4 posts 34 karma points
    May 27, 2011 @ 10:32
    Pau Storch

Hi,

There is a new package to manage image galleries, available at http://our.umbraco.org//projects/website-utilities/simpleviewer-package-for-umbraco

regards,

Pau

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft