Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 20:51
    Mike

Media Folder Picking Thumbnails

This might be simple but is causing me frustration.

All I want to do is add an image to a content page and I want that image to be a thumbnail of the original uploaded image.

I see that if I set the size of thumbnails in the Rich Text Editor datatype it does place the thumbnail on the server, but it does not show up in the Media Folder tree.

1.) how to I get the media folder tree to show the thumbnails so I can choose them for pages??

2.) is there something I am missing and maybe a different approach to adding thumbnails to pages??

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 12, 2011 @ 23:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Is it on the website you want to be able to have a thumbnail of your image shown? If that is the case I recommend that you have a look at the imageGen package, which allows you to create thumbnails and other versions of your images easily.

Is this what you're after?

/Jan

• Sean Holmesby 61 posts 82 karma points
    May 13, 2011 @ 02:17
    Sean Holmesby

I think Mike might be asking for the nodes in a Media Picker field to show the thumbnails of images instead of the icons of their DocumentType.

This would be a cool feature, and I'd also like to know if this can be done.

• Mike 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 13, 2011 @ 14:57
    Mike

Thank you for your replies and let me explain further because I am new to UMBRACO terminology:

I have a simple UMBRACO site with 5 pages and I add an image to a content BodyText section of a page with the Rich Text Editor - simple so far :-)

Here is the interesting part:
    1.) I added that image by simply selecting the image icon in the RTE and uploading a new image then inserting it - Image is now on page.
    2.) Now I go to the media section in UMBRACO and I can see my new image that I uploaded ONLY ONE.  If I FTP to my server and look at the MEDIA folder there are TWO images there under a new folder named to the database ID I assume.
    3.) Since there are TWO images on the server - ONE ORIGINAL and ONE THUMBNAIL why can I only see one in the media section of UMBRACO??
    4.) I wanted to be able to select the reduced image so I can place it on the page

The exact same thing happens when using the ImageCropper - one image displays in the UMBRACO MEDIA section, but I can see the crops only when I FTP and look at the MEDA folder.  I setup ImageCropper according to this video: http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/datatypes/using-the-image-cropper-datatype

This seems like a basic web development function and I know I must be missing something simple.

• Sean Holmesby 61 posts 82 karma points
    May 30, 2011 @ 06:56
    Sean Holmesby

Ahhhh, I see what you mean. I'm not sure if you can select the thumbnail from within the Admin UI. The only was I've seen it used was in XSLT by adding '_thumb' to the end of the image's URL.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft