Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Holmesby 61 posts 82 karma points
    May 18, 2011 @ 01:50
    Sean Holmesby

Why do I have to keep publishing entire site?

Hi,

I've found that to get the correct order of items, and to get my content properly showing up on the site, that I have to either delete the umbraco.config file, or publish the entire site, or both. Is there a reason for this?

Is there a way around having to always do this?

Cheers,

Sean

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 18, 2011 @ 07:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

When you change the sort order in the content tree you need to refresh the XML cache in order for these changes to take effect on the website itself.

Since the umbraco.config is where umbraco "looks" in order to know what and how to show the site it makes sense that the changes needs to be reflected in this file I think.

But you should not need to delete the umbraco.config file each time...just right click the "content" node and hit "Republish entire site", which refreshes the XML cache. (Maybe that's what you're already doing but I mention it to make sure that's how since I think the "Republish entire site" can be a bit confusing since you could also publish the pages over again by right clicking the root node of the site and make an new publish of all the nodes).

/Jan

May 18, 2011 @ 07:54
    Sean Holmesby

Ah, ok. Thanks Jan, that makes some sense. By clicking 'Republish entire site' will that publish my unpublished items as well?

What do I do if that's the case, and I don't want them to be published, however I want the correct sort order to show up for my other nodes?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 18, 2011 @ 22:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean

No refreshing the XML cache does not publish your unpublished nodes. It only updates the umbraco.config file.

If it's not published to the database it will not appear in the umbraco.config file.

But once you have got your sort order the way you want it (published and not published nodes) only the published nodes will be shown. Once you publish the unpublished nodes they will be shown in the order you have placed them in the back office...if that makes english? :-)

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

May 19, 2011 @ 07:47
    Sean Holmesby

Awesome, thanks Jan. That makes perfect sense, and makes things very easy for me.

Thank you for explaining it to me, I appreciate your help.

- Sean

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    May 19, 2011 @ 10:04
    Richard Soeteman

Think it's a bug in the software also. When you sorted nodes it shoudl update the document cache automatically. Might be worth to file a bug on Codeplex umbraco.codeplex.com.

Cheers,

Richard

May 20, 2011 @ 03:22
    Sean Holmesby

OK cool, thanks Richard, I'll have a look at putting it in there.

Cheers,

Sean

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft