Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nate 143 posts 184 karma points
    May 19, 2011 @ 01:39
    Nate

Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.Binder.InvokeMember'

I'm getting this error on Umbraco 4.7 on SoftSysHosting with .NET 4. 

Error loading Razor Script ListCareerWorkouts.cshtml
    (0): error CS0656: Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.Binder.InvokeMember'

This doesn't happen all the time, only when I'm editing razor scripts.  It will stay for a while until (I think) soft sys does an app pool recycle.  Stoping and starting my website doesn't get rid of this.

Any ideas?

• Reid Weber 1 post 21 karma points
    May 19, 2011 @ 04:44
    Reid Weber

To give a little more context, Nate and I are seeing this error when the model is being accessed. 

i.e. 

@Model.Children.Where("Visible").Take(numberOfItems).OrderBy("UpdateDate"))

or 

@Model.NodeById(@item.WorkoutId)

When we remove those lines from the .cshtml, the error goes away.  

May 19, 2011 @ 17:52
    Nate

The interesting thing is that if we remove those lines:

@Model.NodeById(@item.WorkoutId)

The error goes away. Then when we put them BACK it it works fine for a while, but will eventually fail.

• Scott M. Fulton III 19 posts 42 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 22:08
    Scott M. Fulton III

I'm getting exactly the same error.  On some simple test pages I've generated using Razor macros that are unaltered from the template, here's the error I get:

Error loading Razor Script CSmacrotest01.cshtml
    (0): error CS0656: Missing compiler required member 'Microsoft.CSharp.RuntimeBinder.Binder.InvokeMember'

I've uninstalled and reinstalled ASP.NET MVC 3 as suggested by this page, though without change.  I suspect some type of configuration failure and am hunting the problem down now.  When I find the solution (at least for me), I'll share it with you here.

SF3

May 26, 2011 @ 22:22
    Nate

That would be great Scott.

We've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling MVC 3 with no luck. It's happening on softsyshosting, my local and Reid's local. An app pool restart always solves the problem.

I talked to @agrath about it, I'll have him look at this thread again.

Some more info, I'm using a LINQ2SQL query to send a list of POCO objects back in one situation. In other situation we are using linq2Umbraco to query the content XML. @agrath wondered if there was some conflict dll in the bin, but I don't know how to identify that conflict.

-Nate

May 31, 2011 @ 20:22
    Nate

Hey scott, have you figured this out?  This is still plauging us.

May 31, 2011 @ 20:29
    Scott M. Fulton III

Believe it or not, I'm still wrestling with this.  It should be a fairly simple, straightforward error, pointing to a corrupt installation of a central component.  And you'd think the solution would be to uninstall and reinstall those components, including ASP.NET.  But it's not happening; I simply get the same CS0656 error again.  Is there something wrong with the new version of the Web Platform Installer, perhaps?  Will let you know more when I find something the least bit informational.

SF3

May 31, 2011 @ 20:42
    Nate

Do you have any custom DLLs in your bin?  We are getting this problem on our hosting environment, my local and reid's local.  That makes me think that it's not a corrupt version of .NET or MVC.

May 31, 2011 @ 21:14
    Scott M. Fulton III

Bingo!  (And I was supposed to be helping you.)  Older versions of DLLs that I suspect were later incorporated into the .NET 4.0 Framework, were still lurking in the /bin folder.  The culprits, I suspect, were Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll and Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionAttribute.dll, although I also found AjaxControlToolkit lurking there.  Stopped IIS, deleted the old DLLs, restarted IIS, errors are now gone.  (I still have BrowserDetection.dll in my \bin folder, which is a third-party library from Percipient Studios that helps me determine the client's browser version without funky CSS hacks, but that's not causing problems at the moment.)

This might not solve your particular problem though, Nate, and that still concerns me.  I take it that your /bin folder is clear of old DLLs?

SF3

May 31, 2011 @ 22:33
    Nate

ooo, that might have done it.  I deleted Microsoft.scripting.core.dll and microsoft.scripting.extensionattribute.dll. The site is working now, but our site always worked after a rebuild, it always takes a bit to fail.  

Did you delete anything else besides the stuff above?

If this doesn't work I'll delete everything from the bin, but the umbraco dlls in then put my custom stuff back in one by one.   I'll post back in a week or so if I'm still having problems.

May 31, 2011 @ 23:03
    Scott M. Fulton III

I have found umbraco.standardFormhandlers.dll and umbraco.webservices.dll, both dated 6/7/2010 which was much older than the 3/14/2011 contents of the latest build.  Still up and running.  Yes, I'm thinking that's the solution for you:  Stop IIS, then wipe your /bin folder clean of .DLL files.  (Leave the .PDB files!)  Unpack just the DLLs from the latest 4.7.0 build, start IIS, and make sure everything runs from every station.  Then one-by-one, insert the third-party DLLs you need to have, and test the back end.

I figured the solution for my problem would be something simple; I just wasn't sure it would be the same in your case.  I'm hopeful.

SF3

Jun 04, 2011 @ 20:16
    Nate

Microsoft.scripting.core.dll and microsoft.scripting.extensionattribute.dll look like the culprits for me.  We haven't had that error for 4 days (which is a record). 

Wahoo!  

• fontanka16 24 posts 73 karma points
    Jun 14, 2011 @ 13:48
    fontanka16

The problem for us is that our xslt-scripts break when get rid of the mentionened DLL:s. 

I wolud like to rewrite them into razor, but we are not there yet, and we are using the blog module that contains a lot of (breaking) xslt.

I have a suspicsion that i would to add new xslts with the DLL:s removed, they would not break. Could someone explain this?

Any suggestions for not having us choose between razor and xslt?

• Tony Kiernan 278 posts 341 karma points
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 18:11
    Tony Kiernan

I've removed these DLLs and my site is happy.  Unless I use debug, then I get screeds of red telling me it can't load those DLLs.  Is there something I shoudl be doing other than deleting them?  A reference I need to delete elsewhere?

• Tony Kiernan 278 posts 341 karma points
    Oct 12, 2011 @ 18:11
    Tony Kiernan

I've removed these DLLs and my site is happy.  Unless I use debug, then I get screeds of red telling me it can't load those DLLs.  Is there something I shoudl be doing other than deleting them?  A reference I need to delete elsewhere?

• Andrew Waegel 126 posts 126 karma points
    Feb 12, 2013 @ 18:49
    Andrew Waegel

Same here, this seems to fix the problem (umbracro 4.6.2) but now all the XSLT, which I used all over the site, is broken.

This was my first experiment with Razor and I'm having nothing but problems, so back to XSLT until it works.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft