This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• yogi 8 posts 20 karma points
    May 11, 2009 @ 12:31
    yogi

Admin and "departments"

Hiya,

Umbracov4.

I have an "Adminstrator".
    This admin will create users and "departments".

Each user:
    1) will have a single department.
    2) cannot create other users / delete themselves, only the "admin" can do that
    3) can create "members", and assign them only to the dept that the user belongs to.

I'm struggling on where the UI for creating departments fits into all this.
    I know that Umbraco caters for Users and Members out of the box, but I can't realy see where I go about creaing the "department" functionality.

Any advice appreciated.

many ta's

yogi

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    May 11, 2009 @ 22:13
    Paul Sterling

Yogi -

I think you're crossing up the concepts of users and members - there's no built-in awareness of relationships between users and members (via departments in your case). However I'm quite certain you can accomplish what you're after, with a bit of custom code.

Seems to me your departments are the equivalent of Umbraco Member Groups, so I'd start your investigation there. Now, the permissions model in Umbraco is not so granular as to allow you to provision users have access only to one group. I'm thinking you'll be able to accomplish this with either a custom Admin Section (relatively difficult) or an Admin Dashboard (relatively easy).

The API's for working with members are straightforward - have a look in:

umbraco.providers.members
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member

I believe you'll need to create some custom routines to enforce your business rules around department ownership and your delegated administration, but if it's limited to the 3 rules you outline above, there's not too much to do.

If I were to approach this I'd look to create a .NET User Control that I could use as a dashboard control to allow the current user to access her departments and members.

Let us know how you decide to approach this interesting solution.

-Paul

• yogi 8 posts 20 karma points
    May 12, 2009 @ 16:27
    yogi

hiya Paul,

Will do.I've been looking up the API links you sent and I think it can be done.If it can be done, I'll go for the initially easier option, that of Admin dashboard.

Before I get into the nitty gritty of how I achieve it, I want to be sure that I have a correct grasp of the concepts..it's always better with a high level example.

I'm the default admin.
    I want to set up a dept so that a deptAdmin can administer the dept's members.

1) I create a concrete memberGROUP eg salesMbrGrp.
    2) I create a generic memberTYPE, eg deptMbrType (which will satisfy all depts)
    3) I create a new USER, salesDeptAdminUser
    4) the newly created USER will then be able to create members for that particular dept.

Obviously, I have other questions, but I think that my understanding suggests the above.

Then, when I get request to set up an additional dept, I, as admin:

a) Create a concrete memberGROUP eg purchasingMbrGrp. (which will belong to the memberTYPE which was created in step 2, above)
    b) Create a new USER, purchasingDeptAdminUser.
    c) purchasingDeptAdminUser will then be able to create members for the "purchasing" dept.

Ta for any advice / comment

yogi

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    May 12, 2009 @ 18:18
    Paul Sterling

Sounds spot on. Go for it and let us know.

Thanks,
    -Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft