Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben Edwards 11 posts 32 karma points
    May 25, 2011 @ 14:22
    Ben Edwards

Does Umbraco make use of Cookies anywhere in the core product?

Hi All

In light of recent EU legislation around privacy and the use of cookies. I was wondering if anything in the core product uses cookies out of the box? By this I am referring to anything a developer can utilise from a fresh installation without having written there own custom code that uses cookies?

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Ben

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2011 @ 00:01
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Ben,

As far as I'm aware, Umbraco only sets cookies when you are logged into the back-office/admin.

Quick check when I log into Umbraco v4.7, I get the following cookies...

• UMB_PANEL - contains my screen resolution/dimensions
    • UMB_UCONTEXT - contains a guid (educated guess, this would be the user id)
    • UMB_UPDCHK - mine contained a "1" (for update checks?)
    Aside from that, there's usual "ASP.NET_SessionId" ... but that applies to almost all ASP.NET WebForm sites! ;-)

Cheers, Lee.

• George Gordon 2 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 02, 2012 @ 17:49
    George Gordon

We have an Umbraco-developed website. Provided I clear cookies after using the Umbraco editor, the only cookies that I can then see are those associated with Google Analytics on our website, i.e. _utma, _utmb, _utmc and _utmz.

Lots of people seem to think that the Google cookies are a problem, which would appear to kill off Analytics!

However, I have just noticed that, on http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/cookie_rules_prepare.aspx,
    the ICO has recently (13 Dec 2011) updated it's advice on "the new cookies Regulations" in a 27-page PDF file, at http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/guidance_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.ashx

On page 27 there is a very interesting section, which ends with "Provided clear information is given about their activities we are highly unlikely to prioritise first party cookies used only for analytical purposes in any consideration of regulatory action."

This sounds like a "Google get-out" clause to me but I would be very interested to hear what others think of the whole paragraph.

Regards, George

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft