• Ed 5 posts 26 karma points
    May 25, 2011 @ 18:45
    Ed

Moving a site from test server to live server

Here's the background:

- Umbraco 4.0.2.1
    - Windows Server 2007 x64
    - IIS 7

I'm moving a finished site over from our test server to the live server. This is what I've done:

• backed up the database from the localhost
    • ziped the root folder and sent it to the live server via FTP
    • unzipped
    • restored the database backup file to a new schema in MySQL administrator
    • updated the web.config file with the new login details
    • changed the website's root folder in IIS7

A web page appears when I log in, but it's not the right template and when I log in to umbraco, none of the content is present. This leads me to think I've not connected the website to the database properly. I've been scouring the forums for advice on this, but come up short. Would anyone be able to help?

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2011 @ 00:14
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum.

Sound like you've done all the steps that I'd do myself.  So going to take a complete guess (based on my own past experience) ... in the database, (assuming SQL Server here), delete the user (at database level) and recreate it (at database server level).

If that doesn't make any sense, take a read of this forum topic, it might shed some light? http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/5199-Copy-existing-Umbraco-instance---SQL-Server-problems#comment18893

Cheers, Lee.

May 26, 2011 @ 11:47
    Ed

Hi Lee,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I've had a look at the link you posted and it sounds like it could be an issue with how i created the user. I'm not entirely sure how to create a user at database server level - could you explain how to do this?

So far I've been using MySQL administrator to do this, and I'm not sure how to use statements with MySQL. Sounds like I might have to learn a bit more about MySQL...

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2011 @ 12:09
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Ed,

Not sure if that other post/topic applies to MySQL - think it's a SQL Server specific issue.  (I haven't used MySQL with Umbraco myself - so not sure.)

Are you able to access th database directly with the username/password?  If you don't know how, I'd recommending using HeidiSQL as an interface.

Cheers, Lee.

May 26, 2011 @ 13:41
    Ed

Yes, I've been able to log in using the username and password.

I've managed to get the database to work now. I think the issue was as suggested in the other forum topic:  our.umbraco.org/.../5199-Copy-existing-Umbraco-instance---SQL-Server-problems. The user details i was including probably already existed in the restored D, so I got around this by deleting the old user I'd created, and creating a new one, but this time with a different name.

The site's working fine now, thanks for your advice!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft