Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• gilpt 33 posts 53 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 13:39
    gilpt

hi... lifecycle question

hi ....

i got a question ... since .aspx file are not really exists .. so there is no page lyfecycle and no page.load etc..

how can i have some server code on page.load of a page ??

i dont want to use (as a macro  )  a user control lifecycle ... or httpmodule  is there any other option ???

hope i made myself clear ...

thanks

• Gene Foxwell 17 posts 39 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 13:54
    Gene Foxwell

Assuming I understand what you are getting at, you could try using a template ( master page ) to solve that problem.  You would simply create the template and insert the corresponding life cycle events handlers in that.  Otherwise, I don't believe you can put per page code without use of a Macro.

May 26, 2011 @ 13:58
    gilpt

ok... but how can i put some server code on the template ...

it is like masterpage with no code behind...

like this ...

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/masterpages/umbMaster.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
    <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="cp_content" runat="server">
      <div id="content" class="frontPage">
        <umbraco:Item runat="server" field="bodyText"/>
      </div>
    </asp:Content>

• Gene Foxwell 17 posts 39 karma points
    May 26, 2011 @ 14:05
    Gene Foxwell

You can alter the Master Page file to reference a code behind, or simply add a <script runat="server"> </script> section to your page and add the code there.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2011 @ 14:09
    Lee Kelleher

Hi gilpt,

The ASP.NET page lifecycle is still there.  Although the URLs (created by content pages) are virtual; all requests are routed through the root "~/default.aspx".

As for code-behind in the MasterPage templates - sure why not? It does require adding an extra attribute to the declaration for either "CodeBehind" or "Inherits".

... or you can add code inline, like so...

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/masterpages/umbMaster.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<script runat="server">
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            this.Label1.Text = "Howdy Partner!";
        }
    </script>

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="cp_content" runat="server">
        <div id="content" class="frontPage">
            <asp:Label runat="server" ID="Label1" />
            <umbraco:Item runat="server" field="bodyText"/>
        </div>
    </asp:Content>

Cheers, Lee.

May 26, 2011 @ 14:20
    gilpt

thank you ... i understood the the options of code behind in the masterpage ...

but as the page itself lyfe cyle you wrote:

The ASP.NET page lifecycle is still there.  Although the URLs (created by content pages) are virtual; all requests are routed through the root "~/default.aspx".

i know the urls are virtual , and every pages routes through  "~/default.aspx". so , can i add a code behide in this page????

and if so, this code behind (in  "~/default.aspx") is common for all page.. is that correct ??

so in all options , the code behind is common for some pages (in  "~/default.aspx" or in template )

is that correct ???

thanks a lot

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2011 @ 14:25
    Lee Kelleher

You could add code behind for the "default.aspx" page ... if you do, I'll need to create a class that inherits from "umbraco.UmbracoDefault" - otherwise you'll bork your front-end completely!  I'd advise against this too - reason being that when you come to do an upgrade, you don't want to overwrite any bespoke changes that you've made.

In all honesty, I don't really understand what your issue is with using a user-control/macro?  Feels like you're trying to swim upstream, when it's much easier to go with the flow of the cms/framework.

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft