Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kentiler 76 posts 69 karma points
    May 15, 2009 @ 06:12
    kentiler

How do I setup /images folder and load images there?

Hi,

I'm working on migrating an existing site into Umbraco, and all of the images are stored in a folder named /images.

How should I re-create this folder with the images? It looks like Umbraco is expecting all images and other graphics to be under the Media folder.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

--Kent

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    May 15, 2009 @ 08:34
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi Kent,

it depends on the purpose of the images.
    Usually I place the images that are used for lay-out and that editors can't alter or use in the /images folder. They're just static there and can't be accessed from umbraco. (I place them there myself using FTP)

Images that are used in documents and which editors should be able to edit, should go into the media-folder. This folder is used by the media-section in umbraco.

Does this help?

PeterD

May 15, 2009 @ 20:17
    kentiler

In other CMSs I would setup a hierarchy/folder structure that would mimic the website to help sort and organize images. Would you suggest I do that under the media folder? Can users create subfolders under media and upload their own images?

Thanks!

--Kent

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    May 15, 2009 @ 22:03
    Dirk De Grave

Sure they can, but as Peter has said before, it really depends on the use of those images. What's the purposes of those images. Any particular use? Personalised content?

Let us know and we'll sort out what's best practise...

Regards,
    /Dirk

May 16, 2009 @ 17:51
    kentiler

I would want users to be able to upload images under press releases for images relating to that. If there was a section for product images, I would want those under a product folder.

Another example of a project I'm working on is at:
    http://www.iler.com/labs/current_litter.html

My goal would be to allow the user to upload a new image, (optionally do some type of web-based cropping - haven't looked into this aspect yet), and then use ImageGen to create the thumbnail and full size image sizes.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this (even if the cropping isn't possible)?

Thanks!

--Kent

May 17, 2009 @ 12:11
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Kent,

Get the idea now. You'd like to allow users to upload images from a front end page (not from within the admin, is that right?)

In that case, some coding is required to actually do the upload (and the cropping...) and create that media item programmatically. Don't know if you have any experience in creating items through the umbraco api and whether you have hands-on coding experience?

Fee free to ask more questions or if you'd like to have some sample code for creating items dynamically.

Cheers,
    /Dirk

May 17, 2009 @ 19:39
    kentiler

Well, a custom package was probably more in lines of what I was thinking. Just like a custom interface was created for the MultipleFileUpload - it would be cool to have some things tied to the ImageGen package. Maybe SuperImageUpload or something.

I think for now I'll stick with not allowing cropping, and just use ImageGen to create the thumbnail and full size images. I'm thinking I could do this with a new document type where they select an image and enter a caption, and I do the rest programatically.

I have done lots of .Net programming, and quite a bit of Java, too. I was doing quite a bit of work with Serena Collage before they stopped supporting that product.

Thanks for your help!

--Kent

May 17, 2009 @ 19:51
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Kent,

If you'd like to add cropping to your uploads, check this: http://kenny.no/archive/2009/5/10/image-cropper-v09

Cheers,
    /Dirk

May 17, 2009 @ 19:55
    kentiler

That looks very promising! I'll have to check it out!

--Kent

• Hywel Bromby 33 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 24, 2009 @ 16:03
    Hywel Bromby

Hi

Does anyone know how i can allow a user to select an arbitory number of images to displayon the page? they should be uploaded to the media section, or uploaded on the fly.

I would like to allow the user to "create" an image gallery with an unspecified number of images so they can add as many as they like.

cheers

Hywel

Aug 24, 2009 @ 17:25
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Hywel,

Not sure if the media gallery if the best place to store large number of media items, especially when working with image galleries. Personally, I'd look for alternative solutions... unless someone has to manage all those images from umbraco (which I rather doubt)

How about uploading those images to a folder in the umbraco installation (and organizing your images in folders which could be the galleries)? And write a user control that can extract folders and files from disk and create an image gallery from there?

Haven't said it can't be done from umbraco, i'm just giving some options to choose from.

If you still want to go the 'umbraco' way (which is fine by me), I'd suggest installing Warren's excellent CWS2 package which is available through the package repository or can be downloaded from this site. It also has an image gallery so you might pick up some ideas there as well.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft