Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas 49 posts 21 karma points
    May 18, 2009 @ 11:07
    Jonas

Auto-save or prompt to save

It's easy to forget to save a document after editing it in Umbraco. Especially for users that rarely edit Umbraco-articles. And most often when they go from one document to another. They are ofcourse experienced with Windows progs (and some webapps like Google Docs) that prompt to save. How do you help your users to learn this important difference between regular Winprogs and Umbraco? (I'm about to write a red reminder "Remember to save before you leave the page" on top of the Umbraco ui.)

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 18, 2009 @ 12:51
    Aaron Powell

It doesn't support this from the back-end of Umbraco. If you're using Umbraco v4 you can get your users into Canvas which does have this check in it

• Jonas 49 posts 21 karma points
    May 18, 2009 @ 13:15
    Jonas

Ok, thanks for that info. I haven't instructed my users to go to the canvas yet (mostly because of my lack of experience of that feature). Some short thoughts about the canvas? Does it work as expected? Do your users prefer canvas editing before back-end-editing?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 19, 2009 @ 11:32
    Aaron Powell

[quote=prgjonas]Ok, thanks for that info. I haven't instructed my users to go to the canvas yet (mostly because of my lack of experience of that feature). Some short thoughts about the canvas? Does it work as expected? Do your users prefer canvas editing before back-end-editing?[/quote]

I think that Canvas is a great first-attempt at an in-page editor. I don't mean disrespect towards Ruben and the reast of the guys who worked on Canvas, I think they've done a great job, but it's going to be another version or two before it's a complete 100% replacement for the back-end for the standard content editor.

I've found a few problem around how it handles layout in different browsers, particularly around tinyMCE. This is mainly because tinyMCE loads a fixed-size editing area, which can be a bit of a problem. sIFR can also provide problems if you're using it.

I would have preferred that for Canvas developers of DataTypes had to build a "canvas version" and a "back-end" version, rather than relying on UpdatePanels to AJAX it up.
    That is really a pipe-dream though, it's very hard to have that achieved and it does mean a lot of extra development required.

Try Canvas in as many browsers which your editors will be using, be aware that there are things which may "freak out", identify them and identify what would be required to solve them before getting users to go down that path.

• Johan R-G 2 posts 3 karma points
    Jun 27, 2009 @ 11:56
    Johan R-G

You can enable prompt to save by adding the autosave plugin into the plugin section in /config/tinyMceConfig.config. The plugin itself is included in umbraco so that's the only change needed.

• Vincent 75 posts 98 karma points
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 22:05
    Vincent

Thanks Jonas for the question, that's exactly what I'm looking for :)

Thanks Johan R-G for the reply but can you provide more details on how to add the autosave in the config? When I look in my config file I can't find anything about autosave.

Also, is it possible to auto-save all the data? not only what's in a ritchTextEditor? Or at least to promt the user when he click on a node?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft