Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• radmanmm 117 posts 108 karma points
    Jun 08, 2011 @ 20:53
    radmanmm

Desparate help needed!

Hi All,

We have just spent the last month converting our ASP.net web forms application over to umbraco.  I have created at least 12 sites in the past using umbraco so I am not new to it in general.  And this site is 98% perfect but the 2% that isn't is a deal breaker and I would hate to have to throw all the effort away.

We are using umbraco 4.7.0 on Windows Svr 2008 R2.  The majority of our functional app we converted over to .net usercontrols.  Everything works great except for two things.

First, we have a results page that reads from a database using nhibernate and returns a list of items that are bound to a listview control inside our usercontrol.  It actually uses an object data source object to manage the databinding.  In repeated tests when set to return 100 per page, in regular ASP.Net the response is within 3 seconds.  In umbraco the response is more than 20 seconds.  We can put the page in separately from umbraco and we get the 3 second timing.

Second, the processor repeadtedly pegs out at 100% utilization.

Our site gets about 50 requests per second and the processor issue might be do to the first issue, any incites would be greatly appreciated.

We rolled to production and then had to rollback due to these issues as the results page is the primary page used on the site.

Thanks.

• radmanmm 117 posts 108 karma points
    Jun 09, 2011 @ 04:06
    radmanmm

Ok incase someone else is banging his/her head with drastic performance problems around .net user controls and umbraco.  I have found my first issue.  You may find it is the same issue.  In order to figure out the problem I had to pull down the umbraco 4.7.0 source code and hook up the debugger.  The issue I have is due to a few lines of code in the Render event of the page life cycle (actually deeper in the inheritance chain).  There exists a bit of code that attempts to resolve relative urls.  In our case the user control was returning several hundred lines of html which was causing the Regular Expression engine to take several (20 or so) seconds to process it, in this case unnecessarily as the control does not emit any relative urls.

I will try to see if this solves my resource problem tomorrow, but at least that issue has been identified.

Hope that helps someone.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft