Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sul 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 11, 2011 @ 13:31
    Sul

Why would you create a section?

Dear friends,

I was watching umbraco.tv episode about creating sections and I have some questions on that.

- Why would you want to create a section?

- In the video, Tim added a section to manage a table called Corporate Compliance. Now when you expand your section you see all the records. This is fine with couple of records but what if I have a table called products or clients which may contain hundreds of records, Am I suppose to see all these records in the tree? It is a kind of impractical. 

- For this scenario: I have a table called products and I would like the site administrator to be able to view/edit products. What would be the best practice to implement this scenario. Do I use sections or is there another solution. The scenario is.

Kind regards,

Sul

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jun 11, 2011 @ 17:49
    jaygreasley

Hey Sul,

I imagine you'd face the same design problem whether you are doing this in Umbraco or a standalone web app. So, how would you solve the problem? I'd probably group the products or order them alphabetically and paginate them. Would that work in your scenario?

Jun 12, 2011 @ 01:00
    Sul

Thank you for your reply.

What you suggest is ok if you work on your own CMS but would this option be available when you use sections? my proplem is that once you click to expand that node, it displays all the records. This is not practical and it is time consuming for site admin.

So if we take your solution, how would you implement that in Umbraco sections? or is there a better way to do it without using sections.

Probably we can make this very generic by asking this question, you have a table and you want the site admin to manage this table in Umbraco, how would implement that?

Kind regards,

Sul

Jun 15, 2011 @ 13:50
    Sul

Any update on this?

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Jun 15, 2011 @ 21:44
    Fergus Davidson

hi Sul

i was looking at this today too, looked at the same video.

i too am not sure a section is the way to go for me - i am going to simply add a dashboard tab to the content section and controls in the body pane to accomplish what i need. it seems simpler and for me, the content should stay in the content section, i just need a more user friendly window to get to some of it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft