Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Gilbert 24 posts 44 karma points
    Jul 13, 2011 @ 21:31
    Matt Gilbert

Question about publishing children/subpages options

In the content tree, when right-clicking a document and choosing "Publish" a dialog pops up that says:

"You can publish this page and all it's sub-pages by checking publish all children below.

Include unpublished child pages"
    What does each option do? Does one of these only publish the immediate children of this document, while the other publishes all of its children, its children's children, etc?
    In general I think this dialog has a number of issues:
    1. whichever option "publish all children" refers to, it should have the same text.
    2. The document's children and/or children's children are refered to with a bunch of different terms, including "sub-pages", "children", "subpages", and "child-pages". This is very confusing for me; I'm not sure at the moment if these are all refering to the same thing, to two different things, or for that matter, 3 or 4 distinct concepts.

• Lesley 284 posts 143 karma points
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 00:48
    Lesley

Hi Matt,

Here, the two terms "subpages" and "child pages" are referring to the same thing. They will publish all children, grandchildren etc. The difference between the options is that the second one will publish pages that are new (currently "unpublished"). So if you leave this second box unticked, new pages will not be published.

Hope that clears things up. Perhaps this dialog could be improved by putting "unpublished" in bold or something to make the destinction more obvious.

Lesley

• Matt Gilbert 24 posts 44 karma points
    Jul 14, 2011 @ 04:19
    Matt Gilbert

Ah, ok. I assumed "unpublished" pages included old pages with unpublished changes. Not sure the best way to make that clear, but consistent terms would certainly help.

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft