Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicolas 26 posts 46 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 17:57
    Nicolas

Best way to get and show a list of data?

Hello, I'm new to Umbraco, and I find it pretty cool! I used to build website in ASP.NET from scratch, but Umbraco help me save a lot of time.

But I have a question (sorry if my thread is not in the right section). I would like a easy UI so my user can add an unlimited number of objects with customs values. Let's say for example that I want a list of employes, with the name, lastname and phone number for each. Then, I want to show this list a employes on a webpage.

Usually, I would have use a ListView to do this. But with umbraco, I don't know how to populate my listview. What is the best way to do what I want a do? Thanks in advance!

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 18:36
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi Nicolas,

First of all there is not a better place to ask question about Umbraco than here. If you are planning to allow the user to add or edit any related fields for your employees or news items through the backend,  you can do this by using either making use of  XSLT or Razor.

To be honest am not very familiar to Razor myself so i would go for XSLT.

Regards

//fuji

Aug 04, 2011 @ 19:47
    Nicolas

Hi, 

Thanks a lot! Ok, I looked at XSLT, and I understand how to use it to show a list a page. But what I don't get, is how does the administrator can add or edit employes? Do I need to create a document type named Employe and then create a new file for each employes? If that's the right way to do this, it's not my favorite, because I don't want a seperate page for each employe. Is there another way to do this?

Regards

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 21:17
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi again Nicolas,

Well you can do it like this having sepetate node id for each employee where eveyone will have their related infos. Have a look at this video on umbraco, http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/datatypes/using-content-and-media-pickers, i dont know if you already subscribe to umbraco TV but its a good way of getting to know this great CMS.

//fuji

Aug 04, 2011 @ 21:53
    Nicolas

Hi,

You're right, umbraco.tv is a good ressource. I'm not a subscriber for now one, but I'll probably subscribe to it soon.

Ok for the nodes. It good be a good solution for my example of employees list. But I don't find it really intuitive for the user who have to use this to create/modify/delete employees. I would prefer to show im a datatype with a list where we can see, create, modify or delete any employees. Really much like what the asp listview does.

I didn't find a datatype that can do this. Do I have to create my own, or is there something out there that already exist and that you'll do the job?

Thanks for your great help!

Regards

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Aug 04, 2011 @ 22:10
    Amir Khan

Do you intend for an Umbraco user or a Member to modify the lists?

-Amir

Aug 04, 2011 @ 22:13
    Nicolas

The user that will modify the list will be the administrator of the website. The same one that will get access to modify the content of pages. It's not for those who will visit the website.

Regards

Aug 04, 2011 @ 22:16
    Amir Khan

I'd probably just create a document type with a text field for each of the bits of data you want and let them modify that...Basically what Fuji says.

Aug 04, 2011 @ 22:35
    Amir Khan

Actually, this package may be of use to you: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/repeatable-custom-content

-Amir

Aug 05, 2011 @ 15:58
    Nicolas

This package is exactly what I need ! Thank you, this will ameliorate my UI so much! 

Thank you for both of you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft