Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 13:46
    Brendan Rice

Best practice for image captions

What is the best practice for putting captions on images inside the rich text editor? I was thinking of using a macro but am not sure if this is the best way to go about it.

Any ideas?

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 13:59
    Fuji Kusaka

Hi Brendan,

What are trying to do exactly? Are you listing images from the media section then inserting the macro in your RTE?

You could create a mediaType under your Settings Sectio and add a Property Type TextBox Multiple.  Whenever you upload an image in your media section you can some text to it and get your macros to display the value.

This can be an option but not sure this is what you are looking for.

//fuji

• Bjarne Fyrstenborg 1280 posts 3990 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 14:00
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

Hi Brendan..

Perhaps you kan use the title or alt attribute.. I think there are different jQuery/javascript techniques which use the title or alt attribute to show a caption over the image.

Bjarne

Aug 18, 2011 @ 14:03
  • Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:09
    Peter Duncanson

Hey Brendan,

I had the same query a while back. Best way to do it is add a new field to your Image media type (I didn't even know you could do this) by editing it just like its any other doc type. Add a "Alt text" field and then you can store some alt text along with that image which will always be used when ever you render it out.

Dang, just realised the rendering of images in RTE is handled by the tinyMCE code not you...hmmm, my method works for your own macros not RTE.

Let me think on it, might have to do some digging.

Pete

Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:20
    Brendan Rice

Thanks for the help guys, I was thinking that a sneaky jQuery hack might do it. It might be the most user friendly way of implementing this.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 18, 2011 @ 15:59
    Rich Green

If possible I try to avoid having images in the RTE at all, expecially when you have captions to consider.

Is the design structured in a way that you could have the each image & caption as a separate node underneath the page?

Rich 

Aug 18, 2011 @ 16:43
    Brendan Rice

Hi Rich,

unfortunatly it is not my design to I am stuck with having to allow images in the Rich Text Editor, you do raise a very valid point though.

B

Aug 18, 2011 @ 17:07
    Brendan Rice

Hey Bjarne,

thanks for the link, I really appreciate the help. I ended up using your suggested method and it work well, here is the way it works:

1. User selects an image as per normal in the name field (transforms to alt tag) they enter their caption,
    2. The user selects the image from and from the styles drop down selects image-caption (used for the jquery selector)
    3. Save and publish

I think this aproach is a lot cleaner than using a macro from a usability point of view, ideally all images would be mapped out in templates as Rich suggested.

Thanks everyone for the help,

B

Aug 18, 2011 @ 17:22
    Bjarne Fyrstenborg

I'm glad I could help..

Perhaps is's possible to create a class too if you don't want all images in RTE to use the caption... I think it just could be an empty class, so you can mark the image and select the class..

so it only will be img.className which is styled and not all image tags if you don't want that.

Bjarne

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Feb 23, 2013 @ 17:58
    Craig100

This was a great solution from Bjarne. Just one thing though, my client will want to see the captions happening in the RTE as well.  Any advice to get this to happen?

Craig

Feb 23, 2013 @ 19:44
    Brendan Rice

@Craig only way I can think of doing that is to extend the back office - check out Lee's article for doing this:

http://24days.in/umbraco/2012/extending-the-back-office/

Hope it helps.

• Eric Schrepel 161 posts 226 karma points
    Apr 15, 2013 @ 21:13
    Eric Schrepel

This would be a really nice feature if possible. I explain to our content editors that if they just add text to the Name field for any image in the TinyMCE, then that text will appear as a caption. But would be fab if they could actually see that being rendered; they tend to forget how/where the caption text is when it's not visible in the TinyMCE.

(We use the Captionate jquery plugin, like it a lot.)

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 16:22
    Craig100

+1 for Captionate. Just used it in the latest site.  I guess it should work in the RTE if you manage to negotiate your way through all the other TinyMCE classes, though I don't have the time to try it at the moment.

• gary 385 posts 916 karma points
    Apr 19, 2013 @ 18:51
    gary

Hi All

Without trying to but in on what you are achieving - I'm with Rich Green - no images in RTE, why? Responsive design goes way out of the window, on mobile, absolute nightmare.

My thinking is that you insert some image with text around it, ok so image goes left, right or middle? its like half the width, or the full width, or if you want to be a bit smarter, a percentage of the width. (But you cannot control what an editor does, which must drive some site owners mad)

So, maybe a little bit more work, but for any content editor who has tried to get an image right in rte adjust width and all sorts, a godesend. I create a docType of paragraph with an RTE, then a doctype of image, with dropdown for width, and postion, ie left, right or middle, then, dependent upon the order in the tree and the padding on the image, the text wraps around it. If the image height is larger than the paragraph, adding another paragraph joins the text under the last text, like still wrapped and not all <divvy>. And of course it is responsive.

You can carry on with as many images and paragraphs (I put an h3 tag so each paragraph heading helps seo, or you can have one paragraph with an image.

It is in raw form but I have a live example, maybe between us we could refine it? Im guessing my content editors aren't that much different from others, and they know how to create nodes, so it maybe a reasonable alternative. 

Regards

Gary

• Lee 35 posts 84 karma points
    Sep 07, 2018 @ 16:19
    Lee

I know this is old, but...

It would be great if the umbmediapicker honored the TinyMCE image_caption.

https://www.tiny.cloud/docs/plugins/image/#image_caption

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft