Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrik 37 posts 89 karma points
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 13:42
    Patrik

Content nodes gone missing!

Hello,
    I have a little problem. I was about to update a textfield at a page, and all of a sudden the subnodes in the admin view is gone. The only node i can see is "Content".

The website is still accessible. I tried googling this, but all i found was this: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/29733 (i tried it, with no luck).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 19:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Patrik

What version of Umbraco are you using? Is it 4.5.2 or is it a newer version?

Did you try to simply right click the "content" node and choose "reload" ? I've experienced that the nodes "dissapear" in chrome in 4.7 where you just need to do this for instance - even though the heart skips a beat the first time it happens :-)

Can you tell us a bit more about the installation perhaps?

/Jan

Aug 30, 2011 @ 20:06
    Patrik

Hi Jan

It's running on 4.7.0. I tried reloading the nodes, no luck though. What more info about the installation do you need?

Thanks!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Aug 30, 2011 @ 20:20
    Rich Green

Hey Patrik,

What hosting environment do you have the site on, is it your own server or shared, if it's shared does it use a control panel (plesk etc.)?

If you can restart your site or IIS then this is worth a try.

Rich

Aug 30, 2011 @ 20:43
    Rich Green

To force your site to restart without direct site access you can make a change to your web.config file (just insert a blank line space) and upload this to your site.

Rich

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:03
    Patrik

Rich:
    It's a shared enviroment. Don't think i have the ability to restart IIS.

I tried the web.config trick, but it didn't work unfortunately. Any more ideas? 

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Patrik

In general as much information as possible, since sites and their environment can be configured in a various number of ways :-)

Have you checked the umbraco.config file to see if it contains any elements? (It's found in the App_Data folder).

If it's empty...do you then have the possibility to access the database to see if it's empty or not?

/Jan

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:16
    Rich Green

Patrik,

How do the permissions get set on your site, by your host or by control panel?

rich

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:17
    Patrik

Hi Jan

Yes the umbraco.config contains alot of elements. Stuff from the site, node id's and CDATA tags and so on.

I do have access to the DB. The site has been working just fine, till i changed a pagetitle... 

Sample from the first rows from umbraco.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE root[ 

<!ELEMENT CultivContactForm ANY>

<!ATTLIST CultivContactForm id ID #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT umbHomepage ANY>

<!ATTLIST umbHomepage id ID #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT Newspage ANY>

<!ATTLIST Newspage id ID #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT umbTextpage ANY>

<!ATTLIST umbTextpage id ID #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT XSLTsearch ANY>

<!ATTLIST XSLTsearch id ID #REQUIRED>

]>

<root id="-1">

<umbHomepage id="1050" parentID="-1" level="1" writerID="1" creatorID="0" nodeType="1047" template="1044" sortOrder="2" createDate="2008-05-02T09:52:36" updateDate="2011-06-07T21:09:54" nodeName="Start" urlName="start" writerName="Rickard" creatorName="Admin" path="-1,1050" isDoc="">

<bodyText><![CDATA[

<div id="lipsum">

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Patrik

Good - then Rich probably hits the nail on the head asking about the permissions.

It's most likely an issue with permissions that have been messed up somehow. :)

/Jan

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:40
    Patrik

Permissions on my web hotel account is set by my host, but in Umbraco i'm Admin so i should have all permissions their is :)

I know they (the host) have been upgrading alot of stuff, so maybe something have happened there.. It's just weird it happened while updating the content. 

I'm able to create new pages, so i have "create" rights, i think i also should have read rights as well then :/

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Patrik

Ok, maybe you should try to contact your host to make sure that all the proper permissions are in fact set after they have done their upgrade :)

/Jan

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:51
    Patrik

Okey, i will check with them and inform you guys in case your intrested, or if i need more help! :)

Thanks for the help so far!

Aug 30, 2011 @ 21:52
    Rich Green

Patrik,

Do your 'new' nodes show up in the tree, I would be surprised if you can publish them?

Being an Admin in Umbraco is not the same as having the correct permissions on your files, these are Windows permissions that allow Umbraco to write to the files it needs to.

Rich

Aug 30, 2011 @ 22:11
    Patrik

Rich:
    Quick test; Yes they showed up and i was able to publish the item and view it. 

Aug 30, 2011 @ 22:29
    Rich Green

Hey Patrik,

I'm confused, could you post a screen shot of your content tree?

Rich

Aug 30, 2011 @ 22:38
    Patrik

Under Content i had folders and pages like Home, About, Contact and so on, and they are gone.

Aug 30, 2011 @ 22:40
    Rich Green

Hmm, I don't know to be honest.

I'm guessing you've checked the recycle bin?

Rich

• Fabio Milheiro 74 posts 136 karma points
    Oct 26, 2012 @ 21:01
    Fabio Milheiro

Patrik, I feel your pain! Have you a solution for your problem?

Thanks

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Apr 15, 2013 @ 01:45
    Craig100

I have just put up a 6.0.3 site on eHosting and set all the directory permissions iaw http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions. Iwam and System and iUser have All permissions and have been set on the appropriate directories recursively. App pool has been set and recycled.  Site shows but no macros load and there is only a Content node and a Media node, all the Content and Media trees are empty.

I can't think of anything else it can be.  This is the first V6 site I've put live.

Is there anything else I can check?

Cheers

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Apr 15, 2013 @ 14:32
    Craig100

Panic over. Started from scratch again, delete, re-copy, manually set permissions AGAIN! (fifth time, surely there's a tool for this somewhere?), deleted examin temp directories, re-cycle application pool et viola:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft