Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• eneunaber 10 posts 64 karma points
    Jun 23, 2009 @ 18:51
    eneunaber

Creating a folder

I had closed my other topic, before I realized I had another question.

The previous question was "do I use Media for storing such things as background images?" The answer was to create a folder and put the images inside that folder and reference the folder from your css.

My follow up question is:

Do I create this folder under the Web Site or would it go under "Developer" or "Settings"?  

Either way, I'm unsure of how to create a simple folder to put these images under.

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Jun 23, 2009 @ 18:58
    Tommy Poulsen

In case you want a folder for you static images you can create it manually (outside Umbraco, using e.g. a file explorer) where you think it would be appropriate. It could be in the website root (like /images) or whereever you find it appropriate.

If you want to make subfolder in the media section you can do it as you add new media - but selecting "Folder" as the media type.

>Tommy

• Rasmus Lynggaard 118 posts 325 karma points
    Jun 23, 2009 @ 20:18
    Rasmus Lynggaard

For images etc. referenced by css (or just static images) we never use the media section. We just create a folder in the root of the site and places them in there.

• eneunaber 10 posts 64 karma points
    Jun 23, 2009 @ 20:39
    eneunaber

I was unsure if I could simply create a folder using the file system or if I had to use Umbraco to create the folder. Seeing as how I can simply create a folder, I'll just do that.

• steve paxton 2 posts 20 karma points
    Jul 06, 2009 @ 14:38
    steve paxton

Hi,

I'm very new to Umbraco (but have been developing in PHP for many years). I've been asked to create a site as a subdomain of a site which has an existing Umbraco installation. I assumed I would be able to create a folder for the new site in Umbraco, but that doesn't seem possible, so I searched for create folder & found this thread. One answer says that I can create the folder outside of Umbraco, which I've done, but it still doesn't appear inside Umbraco. Can someone tell me how I can create a folder to build this site in? Under the create option I only have a number of items which relate to the content in the existing website.

Thanks

• Bart de Jonge 29 posts 51 karma points
    Jul 08, 2009 @ 16:39
    Bart de Jonge

Hi Steve,

If you want to create a new site under the content folder you should first create the document type (best start with a masterpage). there are some great video's on the umbraco site that show you how to do that.

hope this helps.

Bart

• martin sansom 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 21, 2010 @ 18:10
    martin sansom

Go to the media section (bottom left) and ten right click on your media folder (top left) to create a new sub-folder called 'images'.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft