Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• DotNetPervert 18 posts 34 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 04:05
    DotNetPervert

User control change not showing up?

Hi guys,

I have a funny problem on a site that I am running. Basically there is a form that is a user control that is used to gather client data for signing up the clients to a weekly newsletter. Now, I changed a part of functionality so that after the form is complete it no longer redirects the user to a new page but rether hides the form and shows an asp:Panel with a Thank You message.

But there's the funny thing, the form still redirects the user. I also changed the front end of the form slightly and those changes show up fine but the .cs file changes do not show up at all. In fact, if I completely delete the .cs file of my user control the form still functions like nothing has happenned.

This leads me to believe that there may be some sort of caching implemente din umbraco for user controls. Is that right? How can I clear the cache or better yet turn the caching feature off completely?

Thank you for you help in advance guys.

Cheers!!!

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 07:14
    skiltz

And you've definetly rebuilt the project and re uploaded the dll?

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 08:27
    Jesper Hauge

There could be caching involved several places here, depending on how you are redirecting the user.

If your previous redirection was carried out by some sort of javascript, I would check the browser cache first.

If your usercontrol is a single ascx file uploaded to the usercontrols directory, there could be IIS caching involved, you could solve that by recycling the worker process in IIS or touching the web.config file.

If your usercontrol is a placeholder ascx with an accompanying dll file, make sure youve uploaded the updated dll, this should do the trick, since changes to the bin folder normally causes an application restart, but you could make sure by doing what I proposed in the previous paragraph.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

• DotNetPervert 18 posts 34 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 08:58
    DotNetPervert

Hehe, yeah about rebuilding and uploading the dll... may not have happenned :)

Thank you, I am now quite sure that this is where the problem lies, will report if not but thank you all for helping out :)))

Jun 24, 2009 @ 09:10
    skiltz

Wouldn't uploading a new DLL clear the cache as the IIS application needs to recompile?

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 09:36
    Jesper Hauge

Yes - as stated previously changes to the bin folder usually causes an application restart, so uploading a dll should clear the IIS cache. Haven't had problems with cached usercontrols before either.

Regards
    Jesper Hauge

Jun 24, 2009 @ 10:03
    skiltz

opps sorry....didn't read you post completely :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft