Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony pj 40 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 20, 2011 @ 02:43
    Anthony pj

Umbraco and e-commerce packages

Hi not sure posting this in the correct section but anyway....

Having recently discovered Umbraco , passed Level 2 certification and now totally addicted as part my continuing learning curve I thought i have a play with some the e-commerce packages .... so i thought i was wondering what  communities veiw on available packages ... or if indeed this not umbraco strongest area and best to use some other asp.net based solution NopCommerce for example...

many thanks

Anthony

• Justin Spradlin 139 posts 347 karma points
    Oct 20, 2011 @ 03:06
    Justin Spradlin

I have been using the ucommerce package on my site and it was pretty easy to setup. Soren is great to talk to and will help you with any issues. I would highly recommend ucommerce. I am not using it in a traditional sense, since I am using it only to sell premium subscriptions to my site, but it was easy to adapt and customize to my special needs.  

You can find the documentation for ucommerce here http://www.ucommerce.dk/en/support/documentation.aspx. They also offer a free edition that should be good for most needs. 

• Søren Spelling Lund 1797 posts 2786 karma points
    Oct 20, 2011 @ 20:17
    Søren Spelling Lund

Hi Anthony,

Umbraco is a great e-commerce platform courtesy the various e-commerce packages. One such is uCommerce as Justin mentions and I'd be happy to answer any questions you've got regarding our particular e-commerce platform.

At uCommerce we're kinda geeky when it comes to e-commerce. My partner Lasse and myself have 15+ years experience between us building e-commerce solutions for clients; we've taken that knowledge and packaged it up in uCommerce so everyone can benefit.

uCommerce is an ever evolving platform which currently includes:

Catalog Foundation for managing multiple stores, catalogs, and products complete with dynamic schema

Transaction Foundation for order management, integration with payment gateways, shipping

Marketing Foundation for managing targeted online campaigns, banners, and discounts. You can watch an overview of Marketing Foundation if you'd like to see how it works..

Social Commerce Foundation for user generated content such as product reviews, ratings, and comments

Everything is of course multilingual and 100% integrated with Umbraco as you expect. You can use the techniques you already know and implement online stores using XSLT, .NET, and Razor; I prefer Razor myself, but they work equally well so go with the tool you're more comfortable with.

I recently wrote an article on 4 Steps to Building an Apple-style Product Configurator with uCommerce. which will give you an idea of what it's like to work with in Razor. Building Webshops with Umbraco, Razor, and the uCommerce E-commerce Framework. Oh My! will give you a general idea of the development experience.

We're currently adding a brand new foundation called Security Foundation, which adds role management for users and enables some very interesting business scenarios for large organisationen including distributed catalog management, distributed order management, and isolated satellite stores.

All in all I think Umbraco is a great e-commerce platform and you can't beat the intergration between CMS and e-commerce.

We've got a couple different editions of uCommerce available, which sould fit just about any size e-commerce project. You can compare editions on our website.

• Anthony pj 40 posts 63 karma points
    Oct 21, 2011 @ 12:01
    Anthony pj

Hi Soren,

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a  comprehensive reply ,  certainly given me lots to get my teeth into. Will download and have a play.

Once again thanks

Anthony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft