Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 16 posts 32 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 17:53
    Mike

One single Membership Provider for Front-/ and backend

I'm warming up .. :-)

Anyone very tried using the same Membership-/ Roleprovider for front- and backend?
    I just want my users to remember only one set of credentials (even if they're editors and website users).

cu,
    m.

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 05:26
    Chris Dunn

I think you might be looking at a custom membership/user provider.  We created a custom provider to validate the username is an umbraco user and then validate the password against AD.  We are now doing the same thing for a membership provider and since we're using AD for password validation, we need only to have a user defined in user section to make them editors/admins etc, and/or an member defined in the members sections to give them access as a front-end user----both validating password against AD.  Single Sign-On.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 05:44
    Aaron Powell

If you make the provider class for the Membership module the same as the class for the User module then there isn't any reason why SSO wouldn't work. You'd need to set these two to be the same:

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="TestType" passwordFormat="Hashed"/>
    <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"/>

So for example you could have:

<add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UserMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="TestType" passwordFormat="Hashed"/>
    <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"/>

That should set all the appropriate cookies and tokens to allow the user to sign into a website and then navigate to the Umbraco backend which then also works

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft