Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Berdia 45 posts 67 karma points
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 23:34
    Berdia

Updatepanel not working in Umbraco.

Hi,

I am using Umbraco 4.7.1. and .ascx control in it where I have Updatepanel control. If I use it in Visual Studio Updatepanel works fine. When I move it to Umbraco it does full post back and Updatepanel does not work.

I am working in .NET 4.0. I have ScriptManager control in Master page.

Could somebody tell me why Updatepanel control does not work? Is there an issue with Umbraco and AJAX compatibility?

Thank you.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 24, 2011 @ 23:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Berdia

Do you get any errors when you insert the user control in Umbraco?

And how are you inserting it in Umbraco? Is it wrapped in a macro and placed directly on a template or is it inserted in a rich text editor?

Please ellaborate a bit more so that it will be easier to help you out :)

/Jan

Oct 24, 2011 @ 23:59
    Berdia

Hi Jan,

I don't get any errors. It works fine. .ascx control has GridView in it which is connected to SQL DB and inserting values. Everything works fine. It is just a postback which is triggered everytime I insert new values insted of smooth transition which should be working using Updatecontrol.

User control is wrapped in Macro.

Thank you.

Berdia

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Oct 25, 2011 @ 00:31
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. Perhaps for some reason the particular control that causes a postback in your case just isn't treated as an AsyncPostbackTrigger? There're several properties of an update panel that control this behaviour - e.g. the 'ChildAsTriggers' property and the 'Triggers' collection.

Oct 25, 2011 @ 08:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Berdia

Do you have multiple forms in your site? Or is your user control form contained within a serverside form, which encapsulates the whole page?

In other words...do you have <form runat="server">All content here...</form> in your template?

/Jan

Oct 25, 2011 @ 15:57
    Berdia

Hi Jan,

I am using <form runat="server">all content</form> in my master page. As for page where I have .ascx control I have following:

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="cp_top" runat="server">

<umbraco:Macro Alias="Rooms" runat="server" />

</asp:Content>

Berdia

Oct 25, 2011 @ 22:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Berdia

Try placing your macro outside the server side form on your template. Does it work then?

/Jan

Oct 25, 2011 @ 23:26
    Berdia

I tried that. It gives me this error if I remove <form> tag from master page:

Control 'ContentPlaceHolderDefault_ScriptManager1' of type 'ScriptManager' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server.

Oct 25, 2011 @ 23:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Berdia

Ah yes, I guess that makes sense.

But do you have other forms on your website beside the one you're trying to insert now?

/Jan

Oct 25, 2011 @ 23:38
    Berdia

Hi Jan,

I will have similar pages with other .ascx controls and updatepanels. This one is the first where I use updatepanel, if that's what you mean in your question.

Thank you.

Oct 25, 2011 @ 23:44
    Rodion Novoselov

Berdia, am I right: a) you have a <form runat="server">, b) you have an update panel inside this form, c) you have an <umbraco:Macro> control inside this update panel that (the macro) is bound to an .ascx control that contains a control (e.g. a button) that causes a postback, right?

Oct 27, 2011 @ 19:25
    Berdia

Yes, that is right.

Oct 27, 2011 @ 19:53
    Rodion Novoselov

I've tried it and it worked in such a scenario. I still suspect that you have something wrong with your script manager or update panel settings. You need to make sure that your script manager has EnablePartialRendering="true" and your update panel has ChildrenAsTrigger="true" (they're all default values, but perhaps some is overwritten to another value).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft