Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• saintwright 69 posts 77 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 00:07
    saintwright

Swap media items

This is probably simple but need advice!

My client is finding that they can’t swap media items over in Umbraco – If they go to Media and click on one of the documents or photos, Choose a new photo/document, and then hit Save, it doesn’t actually switch over to the new photo/document. This seems a recurring issue for them as its not updating in both the front or backend. The only way they are finding they can get around it was to Create a new media. But obviously it would be much better if they can just replace the photo/doc, instead of having to creating a new one. Any ideas?

Thanks

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 00:39
    Nigel Wilson

Hey Saintwright

How about ticking the "Remove file" checkbox and clicking save.

Then upload a new file to the same media node.

I have noticed for images the thumbnail may not update - I am not sure if this is:

(a) a caching issue (the admin section is in frames and so caching can cause issues) or

(b) the delete method doesn't actually delete all files within the folder.

Hopefully someone with more thorough knowledge of the internal workings on Umbraco can clarify this aspect.

Hope this helps.

Nigel

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 14:03
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. I too noticed the same issue once when the new image had the same file name as the old one - it likely seems to be a cache issue in my opinion.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 14:11
    Jeroen Breuer

I think I've also had this bug. Please vote for this workitem: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30559

Jeroen

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 23:36
    Nigel Wilson

Rodion - yes it is a cache issue.

After removing the old image and adding a new one I have just (in Firefox) right clicked on the main panel area and selected "This Frame" -> "Reload Frame" and the thumbnail does refresh to the new image.

I have also tried uploading another image of the same without first deleting the original image.  Again after doing the above in Firefox the correct image is displayed.

In my experience frames are a pain for changing out images (not that I am criticising Umbraco - it is a brilliant product with a very intuitive interface) - it may be possible to run a bit of jquery in the background to ensure the new image is displayed rather than the cached (deleted) copy.

Cheers

Nigel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft