Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jennifer Belmont 5 posts 25 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:28
    Jennifer Belmont

NEWBIE - Need detailed steps of everything needed to create a new page

Hello all, I have been made the Umbraco Administrator in our company and we will be using Umbraco for our company intranet CMS.  I have figured out all the steps to manually install Umbraco successfully and have done so in both a Production and Sandbox environment.  My issue is that I never even heard of Umbraco till a few weeks ago and need to be up and running very quickly.  Can someone please describe the detailed steps, in order, to create a new page, say a textpage, so that I can understand the flow of how to setup a new page.  I have managed to add a new entry to the menu bar on the business site starter kit page but cannot get any content into it, so I am definitely doing something wrong.  I just don't know where to start and have no documentation nor do I have an Umbraco TV subscription.  Do I first create a template, then document type, then something else?  Please be detailed in your description.  Thank you very much for your help.  Marc  Oh, I am running Umbraco 4.7.1 on Windows 2003 32 bit.  Thanks!

• Justin Spradlin 139 posts 347 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:32
    Justin Spradlin

You can get started quickly with the free videos offered by umbraco.tv. Checkout all the videos on this page http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco. Downloading one of the starter sites is a really easy way to poke around and see how it is done. I really like the Culiv Razor Demos, it actually makes a really nice base site and it fully functional out of the box with zero configuration. You can also check out the other starter kits available in the "Developer" tab on your umbraco installation. 

Good luck

Justin

• Stephen 204 posts 246 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:33
    Stephen

This sounds like a big job and I would recmmend the TV subscription, very god value for money.

Have you created your own templates or are you just going to use a starter kit?

S

• Jennifer Belmont 5 posts 25 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 17:59
    Jennifer Belmont

Thanks guys, I have installed the business starter kit only because I thought it would have examples of several different pages and features available and configured.  It does have this but maybe too much for a beginner such as myself.  We were hoping to use a starter kit as the basis of our intranet site but maybe that is not a good idea.  I have not created any templates yet but do have a developer in the company that uses Visual Studio that could probably do so.  What do you think?  Should I start with a simple starter kit, stay with the business one, or start with a clean slate?  My thought process has been that I would want some sort of example of a working site so that I could see all the areas necessary for a complete site.  Thanks

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 18:07
    Barry Fogarty

Hi Marc,

The Editor's manual is a good resource for the content editing aspect.

If you are new to Umbraco I would use a starte kit and rope in the support of your developer to tweak the templates as required.  THere is a learning curve with Umbraco - it is a flexible system that accomodates a huge number of possibilities for site layout and features.  But this flexibility also means there isnt many full-featured 'boiler-plate' sites that will do most of what you need straight out of the box.  It is worth investing a bit of timeand money getting your head around the basics before you dive in to document types and templates.

Convince your boss to stump up a few euro for the TV subscription, go through the tutorials, set up a sandbox site so you can play around as you learn.

Good luck!

Barry

• Justin Spradlin 139 posts 347 karma points
    Dec 05, 2011 @ 18:07
    Justin Spradlin

I think starting from a starter kit would be pretty helpful. When you start from a clean slate it can seem like a huge challenge to build it out. My first site was built off of that same starter kit. As I learned, I replaced bits and now on new sites I start fresh. I would recommend that you look at the Razor tutorial for making your templates. Umbraco works well with Razor and XSLT but XSLT has a steeper learning curve and the trend it leaning toward better support for Razor in the future. 

You would be suprised to see just how much of the site you can build out using the content editor for your "TextPage" nodes. You probably won't have to build a custom template for every page in your site, which is one of the great features of CMSes. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft