Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jed 55 posts 80 karma points
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 11:36
    Jed

Where does media upload go?

I am using Doc2Form to email the results of a form. I use an browse/upload control to send a file. The email that's sent includes a link to the uploaded file, which works, but when I look in the media folder the file isn't there - so where is it?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 22:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jed

It's been a while since I've been using Doc2Form myself so I can't remember where the images go, but perhaps you could do a search after the uploaded file on the Umbraco folder?

Just a thought :)

/Jan

Dec 07, 2011 @ 09:38
    Jed

Hi Jan, not sure what you mean - do you mean search the Umbraco folder on the server? Can I do that through Umbraco? If I can't access uploaded resources from the admin side I'm thinking Umbraco doesn't really manage content adequately - if uploaded items get so easily lost from admin.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 10, 2011 @ 09:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jed

Yes if you don't have a local instance of the site, then try to see if you can find it on there.

If you upload content directly in Umbraco's media section you will be able to see that content. As I mentioned in the post above it's been a while since I've used doc2form so I must admit I can't remember how it handles uploads. But it's also important to distinguish that doc2form is a package developed by third party so I don't see this as an issue with the way Umbraco is handling content. But there is an issue with either the package or the setup somehow I suspect.

How did you set it up? If I remember correctly you should be able to specify where the uploaded media should go.

When you're trying to upload do you get any errors? Or are there perhaps any errors in the log table in Umbraco?

/Jan

Dec 12, 2011 @ 11:51
    Jed

This is not a Doc2form problem - it's a structural flaw in Umbraco. There are no errors. Files which are uploaded using document upload controls don't appear in the media folder or anywhere on the admin side. If I wish to move uploaded media I cannot do so using Umbraco. Umbraco somehow manages both to hide uploads from admin and make the address of uploads impossible to preditct (by injecting a random number into the URL). It seems designed to make management as difficult as possible, it offers no advantage for file management over FTP, indeed it's far less usable. It's a shame because apart from its management of files, which is laughable, Umbraco's pretty good.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft