Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 431 posts 1669 karma points
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 21:20
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Upload Data Type and the media section

I realise that this is probably a stupid question but why does images that you upload using the Upload Data Type not appear in the Media section of Umbraco?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 22:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Marc

Not a stupid question at all.

The Upload data type is intended for uploading files directly on a document type and I think the reason why it's not accessible from the Media section even though it's saved in the media folder on the disk is that it's only intended to be associated with the document where it's been specificly attached or something like that.

Do you have a specific need to be able to access the media uploaded using the upload type from the media section?

/Jan

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 431 posts 1669 karma points
    Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:47
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Thanks Jan, just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something. I am developing my own media upload tool and just wanted to check that my functionality was working the same as the umbraco model.

Cheers,

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 17, 2011 @ 17:14
    Sebastiaan Janssen

However, there are datatypes (like DAMP) that allow you to directly upload to the media section as well. 

I am not sure why you're developing your own uploader, but be aware that tools like DAMP, the Desktop Media Uploader (built in to Umbraco), the Multi File Uploader and others already exist. You might want to see if you can re-use those.

• May 17 posts 37 karma points
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 06:54
    May

Hi Marc,

Is there a way to link them up so that whatever you upload using "Upload" DataType are saved under Media section say Media > "ContentRelated" folder for better reusability purpose?

I notice if you upload an image using RichTextEditor Image upload tool item, you have a choice to save under Media or any other folder so just wish that Upload datatype can automatically create item under Media section as well, afterall the physical files are already saved under Media folder.

Thanks.

EDIT: Apologies, just checked out DAMP and it's doing exactly what I want so I'll be using it. Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft