Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Magnus Österlund 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 12:28
    Magnus Ă–sterlund

Display a subset of a blog

I have taken over a website and I'm thinking about Umbraco is suitable for use in place of the prtimitiva CMS used today. However, I have never worked with Umbraco.

The home page of existing site shows the
    most interesting news from their blog. They can choose freely which blog posts to be displayed there. If you access any sub page on the site, the headings for these selected blog posts appears in a box on the side, so that no matter where you are on the page, you can see the most interesting news.

Can this be solved using Umbraco, and if so how?
  • Magnus Österlund 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 08, 2011 @ 09:50
    Magnus Ă–sterlund

No one who can answer my question?

• Michael Hyldsgaard 64 posts 124 karma points
    Dec 11, 2011 @ 23:57
    Michael Hyldsgaard

Hi Magnus.

This is not a problem using Umbraco.

You will have your blog posts as children to a node (maybe the frontpage) and you will then insert a macro in the page template that shows the blog posts whereever you wan't it. The macro will execute an XSLT og Razor script generating the HTML for show the posts.

/Michael

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Dec 12, 2011 @ 00:14
    Nigel Wilson

To follow on from Michael...

There is some neat functioanlity in the following package (I would recommend installing it as part of any site) which lets you easily select which blogs posts you want featured - this obviously requires manual intervention but provides the flexibilty of controlling what appears where and avoids having to code additional parameters to determine what should be displayed.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/ucomponents

Cheers

Nigel

• Stephen 204 posts 246 karma points
    Dec 12, 2011 @ 10:43
    Stephen

Yip to echo what has been said above, its very easy to add a checkbox to a page/doc type which specifies to display this on your home page, i've done this several times.  The XSLT or Razor you write can check for child nodes in your Blog that also have the "Display on Home page" checkbox ticked.

S

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft