Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Johansen 8 posts 48 karma points
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 13:55
    Jesper Johansen

Newsletter - yet again...

Hi

I'm trying to find a Newsletter package for Umbraco, that suits my needs. I have done a lot of research, and looked at the MailChimp-module, Designit module, campaign-monitor etc., but none of them seem to be integrated with Umbraco directly, have the dynamic level I want or requires user interaction...

What I wan't to do is to assemble the newsletter-content dynamically. It should use the general news-content in Umbraco, tagged by category, rating and date. The Newsletter have one main story and 4 secondary stories.

When users sign up for the newsletter, they choose which fields of interests (checkboxes) they have (category). The newsletter-system should pull the latest highest rated (the news-creator rates stories manually when publishing) stories within the selected category from the general News-system, and use these in the newsletter. If users have chosen two (or more) categories, it should take the highest rated news from any (selected) category, assemble the newsletter and then send it out. If stories are rated equal, then date decide main story. No user involvement required, the system should do this at any specified time/date.

Is there anything at all like this?

• Hundebol 167 posts 314 karma points
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:15
    Hundebol

Hi Jesper,

There is no such package for Umbraco - unfortunately!

I would very much like a package like that as well, but i guess it's harder than it seems.

But think about it: Making a package like you describe, would demand that every newssection in all umbraco-sites to be build up the same way. Or, you should be able to adjust accordingly for every site - that makes it very complex I think.

But there are a lot of bright minds here, so maybe it can be done!

I personally think one should lean towards using mailchimp or campaign monitor as the "engine" behind the system.

Looking forward to hear what you find out.

Best regards, Brian

• Jesper Johansen 8 posts 48 karma points
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 08:54
    Jesper Johansen

Hi Brian

Thank you for your answer. I may just continue developing this.

But I'm unsure to why it should require all Umbracu news-sections to be generic in nature. Sure, you can create your own content-fields, but they will be defined never the less, and those definitions should 'just' be exposed in the newsletter template. If you have a Title, summary, article, image-file, rating, category etc. these fields should just be defined in the template, nothing more - it will always require this to be done in code. Then in code-behind the logic of sorting and choosing which news to include is handled.

But for now a proprietary solution will also be okay for my current need.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft