Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nate 143 posts 184 karma points
    Dec 23, 2011 @ 22:24
    Nate

Speeding up Roles.IsUserInRole()

I have an Azure site with umbraco 4.7.1 running on it.  On a lot of my pages I display different information based on if a user is in a role or not.  I have MVCMiniProfiler installed and it's often the longest running task on my page.  Usually around 400ms.

I'm trying to make it faster.  I've looked at the umbraco code and it looks like here's how it's implimented.

It looks like the Umbraco implimentation requires two round trips to see if a user is in a role.  One to get the role and one to see if that user is in the role.

new MemberGroup(SqlHelper.ExecuteScalar<int>(
    "select id from umbracoNode where Text = @text and nodeObjectType = @objectType",
    SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@text", Name),
    SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@objectType", _objectType)));

return SqlHelper.ExecuteScalar<int>("select count(member) from cmsMember2MemberGroup where member = @member and memberGroup = @memberGroup",
                    SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@member", memberId),
                    SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@memberGroup", Id)) > 0; 

It seems to me that I should override UmbracoRoleProvider. I could then override IsUserInRole and do my own implimentation.

Here's the logic I was thinking of for that:

1) Check local cache for user role list.

2) Check Azure cache for user role list.

3) Make one call to the database to check if that user is in that role.

If it gets to steps 2 or 3 I would update the correct caches.

I'd also add an index to umbracoNode that would span nodeobjecttype and text.  I'd also change it from count() to a LINQ first, which I believe does a top(1) which should be faster.

Does anyone approve or disapprove of this logic?  Notice any problems or anything that could be improved?  I'll have everything timed with MVCMiniProfiler so I'll post the results back to this post.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 27, 2011 @ 00:54
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This seems like a fine scenario to me. Would be lovely if you could submit it as a pull request to the Umbraco source so that everybody can benefit from this optimization.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft